Supplier Diversity Program
Virginia Military Institute (VMI) is committed to ensuring fair consideration of all suppliers in its day-to-day procurement of services, supplies and construction. We have seen that working with a wide range of suppliers provides a competitive edge in producing high-quality, low-cost innovative products and services.
All employees with purchasing responsibility or who are involved in procurement decisions for goods and services are expected to notify and give every consideration to using qualified, small, women-owned and minotiry (SWAM) suppliers in a manner that is consistent with state and federal laws and regulations.
In support of VMI’s SwaM goals and commitment to utilize SWaM businesses, all Small Purchase Credit Cardholders (SPCC) and staff with delegated procurement duties are to use small, women and minority-owned businesses for all purchases when such businesses are available. Purchasing Office staff will assist in locating DMBE certified SWaM suppliers or granting permission to purchase from majority (large) businesses when required
SUPPLIER DIVERSITY CHAMPION
VMI demonstrates its commitment to utilizing SWAM suppliers by, among other things, its designation of Dianah A. Kelly, Procurement Officer I, as its Supplier Diversity Champion to coordinate its supplier diversity efforts. Mrs. Kelly will assist VMI by communicating and watching for supplier diversity opportunities and capturing and monitoring utilization results.
- Small Business means a corporation, partnership, sole proprietorship or other legal entity formed for the purpose of making a profit, which is independently owned and operated, and has fewer than 100 employees or less than $1,000,000 in annual gross receipts.
- Women-owned business means a business concern that is at least 51 percent owned by a non-ethnic woman or women (a minority woman is considered as a minority) who are U.S. citizens and who also control and operate it. "Control" in this context means exercising the power to make policy decisions. "Operate" in this context means being actively involved in the day-to-day management of the business. "Ownership" in this context includes stock ownership. (Please note that when reporting results, a business that is owned and operated by a minority woman will be reported as a minority-owned business and a business that is owned and operated by a non-minority woman will be reported as a woman-owned business.)
- Minority-owned business means any business concern that is at least 51 percent owned by a minority individual or individuals (who are U.S. citizens) who also control and operate it. "Control," "Operate," and "Ownership" have the same meanings mentioned above. "Minority" includes African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans, Asian-Pacific Americans, Subcontinent-Asian Americans, and other minorities. "Native Americans" include American Indians, Eskimos, Aleuts and Native Hawaiians. "Asian-Pacific Americans" include U.S. citizens whose origins are in Japan, China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Korea, Samoa, Guam, U.S. Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands (Republic of Palau), Northern Marina Islands, Laos, Kampuchea (Cambodia), Taiwan, Burma, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Brunei, Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Federated States of Micronesia. "Subcontinent- Asian Americans" include U.S. Citizens whose origins are in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, or Nepal.
- Solicitation includes Invitation for Bids (IFB), Request for Proposals (RFP), telephone calls, or any other document issued by the state to obtain bids or proposals for the purpose of entering into a contract.
- All solicitations will be advertised at www.eva.virginia.gov in accordance with Commonwealth of Virginia and VMI policies.
TRAINING AND OUTREACH
- VMI will offer supplier diversity training for its employees, particularly procurement staff through resources such as VASCUPP, DMBE and DGS.
- Such training may include:
- Technical Assistance
- Executive level roundtables