Books About VMI History
If you cannot find these books in your local library, ask your librarian about interlibrary loan.
You may also be interested in our Stonewall Jackson bibliography.
- Barrett, John G., Letters of a New Market Cadet, Beverly Stanard. University of North Carolina Press, 1961.
- Brodie, Laura Fairchild., Breaking Out: VMI and the Coming of Women. Pantheon Books, 2000.
- Conrad, James Lee. The Young Lions: Confederate Cadets at War. Stackpole Books, 1997.
- Couper, William. The VMI New Market Cadets.The Michie Co., 1933; and One Hundred Years at VMI. Garrett and Massie, 1939, 4 vols. The detailed history of the Institute from 1839-1939.
- Davis, Thomas W., The Corps Roots the Loudest. A History of VMI Athletics. University Press of Virginia, 1986.
- Davis, Thomas W. (editor). A Crowd of Honorable Youths: historical essays on the first 150 years of the Virginia Military Institute. VMI Alumni Association, 1988.
- Davis, William C. The Battle of New Market. New York, Doubleday, 1975.
- Jacob, Diane B., and Judith M. Arnold. A Virginia Military Institute Album, 1839-1910. University Press of Virginia, 1982. A photographic history.
- Knight, Charles. Valley Thunder: The Battle of New Market and the Opening of the Shenandoah Campaign, May 1864. Savas Beatie, 2010
- Lewis, Thomas A. The Shenandoah in Flames, the Valley Campaign of 1864. Time-Life Books Civil War Series, 1987. Includes information about VMI and the Battle of New Market.
- McMurry, Richard M. Virginia Military Institute Alumni in the Civil War. H.E. Howard, Lynchburg, VA, 1999.
- Morrow, Daniel S. Murder in Lexington. VMI, Honor and Justice in Antebellum Virginia. The History Press, 2013.
- Shaffner, Randolph P. The Father of Virginia Military Institute: A Biography of Colonel J. T. L. Preston, CSA. McFarland, 2014.
- Smith, Francis H. The Virginia Military Institute, its building and re-building. (History of the Virginia Military Institute)J.P. Bell Co., Lynchburg, Va., 1912.
- Strum, Phillipa. Women in Barracks: The VMI Case and Equal Rights.Lawrence : University Press of Kansas, c2002.
- Walker, Charles D. Memorial, Virginia Military Institute. J.B. Lippincott & Co., Philadelphia, 1875. Biographical sketches of alumni who died in the Civil War.
- Wise, Henry A. Drawing Out the Man. The VMI Story. University Press of Virginia, 1978.
- Wise, Jennings C. The Military History of the Virginia Military Institute from 1839 to 1865. J.P. Bell Co., Lynchburg, Va., 1915.