VMI's Statues, Monuments & Cannon
For detailed information about this topic, contact the Archives.
- George Washington Statue (1856) View photograph
Dedicated on July 3, 1856, this bronze was cast by Virginia artist William James Hubard and is a replica of Jean Antoine Houdon's original marble. In 1864 it was confiscated by Union troops as a trophy of war, but was returned and rededicated in 1866. The statue stands across from the Washington Arch entrance to Barracks.
- New Market Monument (1903) View photograph
This statue, officially named Virginia Mourning Her Dead, was created by sculptor Moses Ezekiel to honor the VMI cadets who fought at the Battle of New Market. Ezekiel was himself a member of the Class of 1866 and a member of the New Market Corps; those who fought and died there were his friends. The statue was dedicated in 1903, an event that included a reunion of New Market veterans.
- Stonewall Jackson Statue (1912) View photograph
A replica of Sir Moses Ezekiel's monumental sculpture which was first created for the United Daughters of the Confederacy to commemorate Confederate General and former Professor at VMI, Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson. Ezekiel had marched under Jackson's leadership as a cadet and was part of the honor guard that attended the General's coffin during his funeral. Jackson is depicted surveying the field before the Battle of Chancellorsville, VA where he received his mortal wound. The sculpture was unveiled on June 19, 1912 and stands in front of the cadet Barracks inscribed with the words "The Institute will be heard from today."
- Francis H. Smith Statue (1931) View photograph
Bronze statue of VMI's first Superintendent, by sculptor Ferrucio Legnaioli. It was originally located near the New Market monument, but today resides in front of Smith Hall, VMI's administration building.
- Spirit of Youth (1939) View photograph
Located in Memorial Garden, it is the work of sculptor Attilio Piccirelli. The statue was a gift of Anne Cocke, the wife of VMI's 4th Superintendent, William H. Cocke
- George C. Marshall Statue (1978) View photograph
Honoring VMI's distinguished 1901 graduate, this statue was dedicated on Founders Day 1978 and stands in front of the Marshall Arch section of Barracks.
- Jackson-Hope Monument (2003) View photograph
Honoring the recipients of the First Jackson-Hope Medal and the Second Jackson-Hope Medal, awarded to the two most academically distinguished cadets in each graduating class since 1876
- French Guns View photograph
17th century bronze cannon
- Cadet Battery (Jackson's Battery) View photograph
This custom-designed battery was cast at the Cyrus Alger Foundry in Boston and arrived at VMI on June 6, 1848. From 1851 until the beginning of the Civil War the guns were commanded by Major Thomas J. Jackson (later known as "Stonewall"), VMI's professor of Natural Philosophy and Artillery Tactics. During the war the guns were used by several units, including the famed Rockbridge Artillery under the command of William Pendleton. It was Pendleton, an Episcopal minister, who named the four cannon Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.