Our Pledge to Our Majors
The VMI Biology Department Mission Statement
The mission of the biology department is to provide our majors:
- a broad understanding of biological principles, as well as interactions within living systems and among organisms;
- opportunities to pursue areas of specific interest within the biological sciences, allow flexibility in course selection, as well as courses that will provide in-depth education in a specific area;
- experiences that aid in scientific training by teaching students to function independently in an experience involving research that will foster creativity, scientific curiosity, independence of thought, and expression;
- opportunities to develop an appreciation for the impact of the biological sciences on society;
- preparation for pursuit of future education and careers following graduation from the Institute.