Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business—International
(AACSB) recently announced that the Department of Economics and Business
has been awarded re-accreditation. Only 5 percent of the
world’s business programs are accredited by AACSB. Read additional information on this accomplishment.
The mission of the Department of
Economics and Business is to develop leaders within the framework of the
unique VMI mission by offering a rigorous and challenging
liberal arts curriculum based on a solid foundation in economic theory,
quantitative methods, and management-specific knowledge and skills.
An economics and business degree from
VMI can prepare you for almost any leadership position in the 21st
Century. Our graduates are well prepared to take on careers in finance,
management, marketing, investment, banking, or the military. The EC/BU
degree is excellent preparation for graduate work in economics,
business, public administration, health administration, or law.
The department’s program goals and
learning outcomes were developed with an eye toward matching them with
the learning experiences we believe are necessary for future leaders.
Our program goals are as follows:
- broad knowledge of economics, quantitative methods, and the functional areas of business [discipline-based skill set];
- the ability to communicate effectively, using oral communications skills [oral communication];
- the ability to communicate effectively, using written communications skills [written communication];
- the necessary skills to lead others in an ethical manner [leadership and ethics];
- the ability to understand information systems and to apply technology to find solutions to a variety of problems [information systems and technology] and;
- the skills to analyze and evaluate information and the ability to
use these skills to guide decision making, resulting in effective
problem solving [critical thinking].