Bachelor of Arts
“I would recommend the economics and business degree to anyone attending VMI. I think it produces the most well rounded graduate by making them ready to take management positions in any career field.” - Ed Hosken ‘94
Since the inception of the department in 1968, the curriculum has consisted of a solid foundation in the liberal arts and economics. Today, in addition to the Institute-wide Core Curriculum, ECBU cadets complete additional liberal arts courses, then complete 66 hours of economics and business courses prior to graduation. To meet AACSB standards, the department has made significant changes in the curriculum during the past several years. New courses include: Managerial accounting; Legal environment of business; Operations management; Management information systems; and additional courses with an international focus.
Graduates have become:
- Management Trainee, J.P. Morgan Chase Financial Services
- Senior Vice President, Bank of America
- Global Financial Services Manager, The Coca-Cola Company
- National Bank Examiner, Comptroller of the Currency
- Vice President—Corporate Resources, Ethyl Corporation
- Senior Vice President, Wachovia Bank
- Vice President—Business Critical Solutions, Microsoft
- Director of Business Operations, American Express Financial Services
- Director of Business Services, Medical University of South Carolina
- Foreign Service Officer, US State Department
- College Professor--0rganizational behavior and human resource mgnt.
- Clerk, US Supreme Court