English Society 2010-2011
The English Society fosters an appreciation of all the arts, with an emphasis on literature. It is open to students of all majors and all classes. Members take an annual trip to Washington, D.C., where they tour the Folger Shakespeare Library, see a play at the Shakespeare Theatre, visit the National Gallery of Art, usually attend a performance at the Kennedy Center, and go to various other museums, artistic or historical. They also take trips to the Virginia Film Festival in Charlottesville or to Richmond, where they visit the Richmond Historical Society, tour Agecroft Hall (a Renaissance mansion), usually see a play, and take part in other activities. The English Society also sponsors speakers, both artists and scholars, as well as performances by Shenandoah Shakespeare, and members get to meet and eat with the Society's guests. At monthly meetings, members discuss stories by writers like Hemingway, Flannery O'Connor, or Tolkien. VMI faculty also meet with the English Society to discuss topics of special interest, and students frequently devise activities on their own initiative, like literary camping trips and even an English Society FTX.
Below you can find a calendar of events and activities sponsored by the English Society. It is updated frequently, so check it often. There are also links to websites that are associated with English Society trips and other activities. To see a list of previous year's activities, click here .
Calendar of Events and Activities
- Friday-Sunday, November 5-7, 2010: The annual English Society Trip to the Virginia Film Festival in Charlottesville. For details of the program, go to the Festival home page.
- Friday-Sunday, February 18-20: The revived annual English Society Trip to Washington, D.C. We will see Shakespeare's Cymbeline at the Shakespeare Theatre, The Comedy of Errors at the Folger Shakespeare Library, and tour the Folger and the National Gallery of Art.
- The Fourth VMI Poetry Symposium, Friday-Saturday, March 4-5, 2011.
- Meetings this year will be devoted to discussion of the new book of poetry, Phantom Noise, by Brian Turner, author of Here Bullet, an Iraqi War veteran.
- Mr. Turner will be one of the guest poets at the Poetry Symposium this year and will have a special meeting with members of the English Society who have read his book.
Meeting Schedule (Unless indicated otherwise here, meetings are held at 8:00 p.m. in Scott Shipp 201)
- Monday, September 6, 2010: Organizational Meeting (noon in Crozet Hall, upstairs)
- Tuesday, October 26, 2010: First discussion of Brian Turner's Phantom Noise
- Tuesday, November 9, 2010: Further discussion of Brian Turner's Phantom Noise
- Next Meeting: Tuesday, February 15, 2011: Further discussion of Brian Turner's Phantom Noise