Transcripts of Academic Records / Records Policies
A transcript is a copy of a cadet's permanent academic record at the time of issue. All transcripts are issued as a cumulative summary of a cadet's performance at VMI.
Transcripts covering a student's secondary and previous college education, which have been submitted to the Institute as a requirement for admission, transfer credit or work completed, and records which are not the property of VMI become a part of the Institute's official file. The Institute will not reissue or certify copies of records from other institutions or certifying officials. Transcripts and records must be ordered directly from the institution of record where the course work was taken, testing conducted or records certified.
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) prohibits the release of personally identifiable information to third party individuals without the expressed written consent of the cadet / student.
How To Order A Transcript
A transcript will be issued only upon written request by the cadet concerned. Transcript requests must be made in writing, preferrably using the VMI Transcript Request Form. This form may be completed and returned via mail or FAX, scanned and emailed or in person to:
The Office of the Registrar
Virginia Military Institute
303 Shell Hall
Lexington, Virginia 24450
FAX: 540-464-7726 EMAIL: email@example.com
(NOTE: All requests must be made in writing, including cadet's hand written signature, electronic signatures not accepted -- telephone or email requests will not be honored.)
Information to Include When Requesting a Transcript
- Full Name While in Attendance
- Dates of Attendance, Graduation Year or Class Year
- Name & Address of Recipient (Please be thorough as very often transcripts do not make it to their desired destination due to incomplete address information -- include full name, address and zip code)
- Social Security Number or VMI ID number
- Name, Address, Phone Number and Email address of where you can be reached (in the event there is a problem processing your request.)
- Original Hand Written Signature of Cadet, Electronic Signatures Not Accepted
- Processing Fee (payable by cash, check, Visa, MasterCard or Discover)
- Turn Around Time
- $5.00 per copy - 3-5 work day turn around.
- $10.00 per copy -- 24 work hour turn around (includes processing only -- not mail time.)
- Transcript Types
- Official - Official record of performance bearing the Institute seal and provided in a signed and sealed envelope or mailed directly.
- FAX and Email Services
- Fax and Email services are not available for outgoing transcripts. All transcripts are released as official copies in signed/sealed envelopes.
- Overnight Services
- Overnight services are not available thru VMI.
- Virginia Military Institute reserves the right to withhold grades and transcripts for individuals with outstanding administrative or financial obligations with the Institute.
- Internal Requests
- No charge -- i.e. internal scholarship applications, ROTC, etc.
Transcript Request Form