Group Study Sessions
Group Study Sessions (GSS) are led by one or two upperclass cadets who earned a B or better in the course at VMI. The leaders work with a faculty member who does not attend the session but does serve as a resource and support by communicating with the leaders after each session to review what was covered, help with any questions the leaders have, etc. The sessions are free and no registration is necessary.
The MAC also offers a variation of the original format called “GSS+” which involves faculty in a more substantive way to provide an enhanced experience for participants. A faculty member from the department serves as a mentor to the cadet leaders, attends each weekly session, and assists the cadet leaders in planning the session. In recognition of the time commitment, compensation for faculty serving in this role is available. Any faculty member interested in learning more about this new program is asked to contact LTC Elaine Humphrey (email@example.com or ext.7602).
The Miller Academic Center is currently seeking GSS Cadet Leaders for Fall 2013 in the following courses:
SP-101 & 201 AR-101 & 201 PY-120 & 160
FR-101 & 201 EC-201 CH-131 & 137
The GSS team consists of two cadet leaders, one faculty member, and a MAC staff person. The faculty member and MAC staff will not attend the GSS, but rather serve as a reference for the GSS Leaders.
GSS Cadet Leaders’ responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead the Group Study Session discussion and activities related to material for specific course,
- Acquire from the faculty member a copy of the current syllabus and any other relevant materials or information,
- Be prepared and provide support to attending cadets that is in keeping with the faculty’s instructions so as not to commit any Honor Code violation,
- Model effective student behavior and share study strategies to enhance cadets’ academic performance for that course,
- Know when and how to refer any cadets to post resources for additional assistance and support,
- Attend every weekly GSS unless absence is approved by MAC staff,
- Take attendance of each session by recording the name and email address of all cadets present,
- Email the Miller Academic Center within 24 hours after each GSS with the attendance and summary information,
- Participate in any assessment of the program by the MAC in a timely manner,
- Notify the Miller Academic Center as soon as possible about any inability to meet with the GSS for that week so participating cadets can be notified accordingly, and
- Attend MAC Cadet Assistant and FERPA training.
- At least a 2.5 overall Grade Point Average (GPA),
- Earned a “B” or better in the GSS course at VMI,
- Name and contact information of two academic references
- At least one VMI faculty member from the GSS department must serve in this capacity
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills and a positive attitude.
Anyone serving in this role can either do so voluntarily or as a Cadet Assistant with compensation of $7.25 an hour. GSS Leaders will be compensated for their training time. Completion of appropriate paperwork with Human Resources and the Miller Academic Center is required.
If interested and qualified, please email the following information to the Miller Academic Center (firstname.lastname@example.org):
Name and contact information of two professional reference
At least one of the references should be a faculty member from the GSS department
Why do you want to serve in this leadership position?
What skills, experiences, etc. would you bring to this position?
Faculty and staff are asked to talk to cadets whom they consider strong candidates for this position and encourage them to apply!