Research and Instruction Librarian
Posted Monday, February 12, 2018
The Preston Library at Virginia Military Institute seeks a creative and collegial librarian who desires to work in a team-based environment and develop innovative learner-centered services that support the Institute’s academic programs. Reporting to the Head of Research and Instruction Services, the librarian in this position will provide curriculum driven and pedagogically rich research and instruction services that engage cadets and faculty as active users of Preston Library. This position will help shape the direction of a newly formed Research and Instruction Services Department and participate in a major library renovation.
- As an active and engaged member of a small team, collaborate with colleagues in the development, delivery, and assessment of instruction and research services
- Participate in outreach activities including social media efforts, in-house displays and activities, and web-based and print publications
- Participate in collection development activities for print and electronic resources
- Integrate library services into academic programs by serving as library liaison to one or more academic departments
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships within the Library and all other VMI departments to advocate and advance the Library and Institute mission
- Work regular shifts at the Library’s centralized service point including some evenings
- Participate in professional development activities
- ALA-accredited MLS degree
- Enthusiasm about the teaching and learning enterprise, pedagogy, and technology
- Demonstrated strong public service orientation within the context of emerging trends and technologies in the 21st century library
- Experience using a variety of research tools and databases to provide reference services in an academic library
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with faculty, staff and students in support of their research and information literacy instruction needs
- Ability to work as part of a small, highly collaborative team
- Excellent pedagogical and technology skills for effective instruction services
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Experience with learning management systems such as Canvas
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Proficiency with standard office technology tools, including MSOffice Suite and Outlook
- Commitment to professional development
- Second advanced degree
- Familiarity with cutting edge technologies and their applications in libraries and higher education
Special Requirement: At VMI, library professionals and members of the faculty wear uniforms and adhere to military customs and courtesy, although previous military experience is not required.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online at: http://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/102106
A complete application will include letter explaining how this position fits into your current and future career path and how your experience matches the qualifications of this position, current curriculum vitae, and the names of three references with titles, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses.
This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with education and experience and includes a generous benefits package. Candidate screening will continue until the position is filled.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply.