The Miller Academic Center (MAC) facilitates new cadets’ acquisition of skills and information so that they can successfully transition to college academics and college life. Cadets can learn how to effectively manage their time through the use of the VMI College Success Planner. Group Study Sessions (GSS) are available for a number of core courses including science, math, history, and foreign language. The GSS meetings are a weekly opportunity for new cadets to discuss coursework and strategies with successful upper-class cadets. Academic Saturday workshops provide new cadets with valuable information on effective study skills and strategies to optimize their time. Staff will also meet with individual cadets to discuss concerns or questions about academic success at VMI. N
Group Study Sessions (GSS)
GSS are led by one or two upperclass cadets who earned a B or better in the course at VMI. GSS+ are Group Study Sessions that have a faculty member working closely with the cadet leaders to help them plan the sessions and debrief/assess following each week's group meeting. The faculty for GSS+ also attend the weekly group meeting to observe, mentor, and assist where needed. Please click on the link below regarding a listing of courses that we have a GSS for the fall 2015 semester. For more information on Group Study Sessions, contact Maj. Coates at email@example.com.
MAC staff is available from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday for individual meetings. Interested cadets may schedule an appointment or drop by. Topics you may want to discuss could include setting goals, time managemetn, reading for comprehension and retention, note-taking, test preparation, and test-taking. Cadets with suggestions of programs and services that the MAC should consider offering are also encouraged to come by the office.
The Miller Academic Center values involvement and cooperation with faculty and staff in an effort to better meet the needs of cadets.
- Group Study Session (GSS) cadet leader selection: Faculty and staff provide cadet recommendations for GSS cadet leaders.
- Group Study Session (GSS) faculty team members: Each GSS has a faculty member from the department for that course who serves as a resource both for the cadet leader(s) as well as the Miller Academic Center to contribute to the overall effectiveness of the GSS experience.
- Professional development : The Miller Academic Center provides speakers and seminars for faculty and staff on a variety of topics.
- Enhancement of Miller Academic Center programs: Representatives of departments and programs serve as guest speakers to enhance MAC programs and services such as GSS cadet leader training and Project Success.
- Referrals to the Miller Academic Center: Faculty and staff refer students to the Miller Academic Center.
- Class workshops: Miller Academic Center staff visit a number of classrooms each year to provide instructions to cadets on various study skills.
- Resources on learning strategies: Faculty and staff consult with the Miller Academic Center regarding academic resources and various learning strategies and vice versa to ensure accurate and consistent support for cadets.
- Collaborations on various grants and projects: Faculty and Miller Academic Center staff seek opportunities to collaborate on projects such as the development of a first-year experience program.
We are looking for GSS facilitators for the courses listed below. If interested, email Maj. Coates at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CH-131 & 137, CH-223, and EC-300