Degrees & Programs
The Electrical and Computer Engineering Department offers a program to prepare you for a rewarding and successful career. To give you the most flexibility after graduation, our courses provide a broad foundation in many areas of electrical and computer engineering. For students seeking specialization in a area, the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department offers a variety of elective courses, as well as customized independent research courses tailored to specific interests. The program culminates with a capstone design experience that includes a competition with other colleges and universities in the southeastern U.S.
ECE Elective Policy
The ECE Department requires six credit hours of ECE electives for graduation. While more than six credit hours of electives may be taken, a maximum of six credit hours may be applied to graduation requirements.
The following three-credit ECE Elective courses are offered regularly, and may be used to satisfy the required six credit hours of ECE Electives:
- Fall Semesters: EE 413 (Microelectronics), EE 460 (Portable Power)
- Spring Semesters: EE 426 (Semiconductor Devices), EE 455 (Electrical/Mechanical Design)
Prior to graduation, all engineering cadets are required to take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Examination as an early step toward licensure as a professional engineer. Effective with the Class of 2013, (Fall 2012 and Spring 2013 FE examinations), all engineering majors will be responsible for completing and submitting application paperwork and fees by the published deadlines. Cadets who pass the examination will be fully reimbursed by the department. Cadets who are concerned about the financial obligations associated with this graduation requirement should contact the VMI Financial Aid office immediately. Engineering majors who do not meet these expectations will not graduate.
Scholarship and Internship Opportunities in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Numerous Scholarship and Internship Opportunities are available to cadets majoring in Electrical and Computer Engineering. Contact the ECE Department Head, or visit the departmental scholarship page: Scholarships and Awards.
Electrical and computer engineering courses, including online courses, may be transferred to VMI pending an evaluation of equivalency and approval by the ECE Department Head. Acceptable courses for the MA/SCI elective (8th semester):
- MA/SCI W and X courses are not acceptable
- AT – all courses are acceptable
- BI – all courses are acceptable
- CH – all courses are acceptable except CH 111, 112, 131, 132, 362
- GE 306 is acceptable
- MA – all courses are acceptable except MA 105, 106, 108, 114, 123, 124, 125, 126, 215, 220, 307 and 311
- PY – all courses are acceptable except PY 115, 116, 120, 121, 155, 156, 160, 161, 220, 223, 238, and 257.
- MA/SCI Elective Policy is effective with the Class of 2013 and later.