The Institute Society
In 1973, the VMI Foundation established The Institute Society as a way to encourage and recognize unrestricted financial support to VMI that is “above the ordinary, constant, and generous.”
Since then, The Institute Society has undergone many changes. What has never changed, however, is the leadership in support of VMI that its members provide every year. In fact, members of The Institute Society routinely donate more than two-thirds of the unrestricted money raised through the Foundation Fund. This generosity has done much to ensure VMI retains its extraordinary place in American higher education for more than 35 years.
Opportunities for Membership
- George C. Marshall Order: $100,000 or more in lifetime giving
- Francis H. Smith Order: $10,000 - $99,999
- Scott Shipp Order: $5,000 - $9,999
- J.T.L. Preston Order: $3,000 - $4,999 **
- Thomas J. Jackson Order: $1,500 - $2,999
- Cadet John B. Strange Order: Younger alumni – those who graduated from VMI in the last 15 years – may join this order at the following annual gift levels:
- $250 – Classes 2014 to 2010
- $500 – Classes 2009 to 2005
- $1,000 – Classes 2004 to 2000
** The J.T.L Preston Order also recognizes gifts to any Foundation-managed fund or endowment.
If you are interested in joining The Institute Society contact:
P: 800-444-1839, ext. 250