Getting here, getting around, getting fed
The first event of the day is in Cameron Hall, which is about a five-minute walk from the Parade Ground. Signs will direct you how to park on the Parade Ground weather permitting. Shuttle service to Cameron Hall will be available from Moody Hall.
Parade Ground parking will be available beginning at 6:15 a.m. Vehicle entry onto the Parade Ground will be in front of Marshall Museum.
Handicap parking for events at Cameron Hall is in the gravel lot on Diamond Street just South of Cameron Hall.
Shuttle services will be provided from VMI Post locations to Cameron Hall from 7 a.m. until 4 p.m.
In the event that the Parade Ground is closed to parking due to inclement weather, shuttle services will be provided from the Lowe’s parking lot.
Download Matriculation Shuttle Map
The above pdf map shows:
- Shuttle pickup/dropoff points
- “Information” location
- Parade Ground parking entry point
- Handicap Parking on Diamond Street
An information table with brochures will be set up in front of Preston Library.
You must unload baggage by 1:30 p.m.! Please note that room assignments will be provided at matriculation processing in Cameron Hall.
Due to congestion in front of Barracks, we suggest that new cadets carry their luggage to Barracks from the Parade Ground parking area if possible. If you desire to move your vehicle in front of the Barracks to unload, please follow these procedures:
- Exit the Parade Ground parking area at the designated spot and travel around the Parade Ground in a counter-clockwise direction. VMI officials will direct you where to stop your vehicle to unload.
- The area in front of Barracks is for unloading only. Unload all of your cadet's baggage where directed. The driver must stay with the vehicle. (Airport-style drop off.)
- Immediately after your vehicle is unloaded, proceed through the semi-circle and continue back to the Parade Ground parking area.
- Park the vehicle and rejoin your cadet.
Please use extreme caution during this period.
Lunch will be provided for the new cadets from 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. in Crozet Hall. New cadets can eat at no charge; the cost for family members for lunch is $8.00 (includes tax) for adults and children; children 5 and under eat free. It is important that new cadets eat during this time and to drink plenty of fluids with the meal.
Be sure to wear casual clothing and good walking shoes. The weather in August tends to be hot and humid and we want you to be as comfortable as possible.