DAY 1 - MONDAY, OCTOBER 28, 2019
Module 1 - Disruption: Culture and Conflict
- Our opening portion of programming will explore disruptive environments affected by our culture and conflict.
7:00 a.m. Registration/Breakfast
7:45 a.m. Opening Remarks
8:00 a.m. Interactive, Small-Group Exercise: Meet & Greet members at your tables, Question with Live Polling
- In this feature, members at each table will introduce themselves and the cadet facilitator will direct your attention toward a video. At the conclusion of the video, there will be a question asked about the content. Each table will reach a consensus and the table facilitator will submit the table's vote.
8:45 a.m. Welcoming Ceremony followed by Speaker: Jonah Goldberg "Suicide of the West: Rebirth of Tribalism"
10:00 a.m. Moderated Interview with Michele Gelfand "Rule Makers, Rule Breakers: Disruption in Cultures"
11:00 a.m. Interactive, Small-Group Exercise: Pluses, Potentials, and Concerns
- In this feature, each table will discuss the previous two speaker sessions and discuss each presenter's ideas and major themes to determine: three strong points which support the speaker's theme, three possible ways in which you might improve or further develop the speaker's ideas, and three main concerns should there be action on the speaker's ideas or themes.
12:00 p.m. Lunch
Module 2 - Disruption: Innovation-Driven Leadership
- This portion of programming will explore personal leadership: actions in disruptive environments.
1:00 p.m. Robert Johansen, Futurist and Author, speaking on "Disruption: Facing the Future"
1:45 p.m. Concurrent Speaker Sessions (Each Person will Attend Two)
Carrie Papke, VMI Class of 2007
Court Whitman, VMI Class of 1999
Karl Renne, VMI Class of 1996
Bob Fricke, VMI Class of 1978
3:45 p.m. Interactive, Small-Group Exercise: Buzz Groups
- In this feature, every member at each table will take two minutes to share their first impressions from the two speakers they saw.
4:30 p.m. Cadet-Led Tours of VMI Post
6:00 p.m. Dinner and 10th Anniversary Recognition
7:00 p.m. Dinner Speaker: Robert Johansen "The New Leadership Literacies"
DAY 2 - TUESDAY, OCTOBER 29, 2019
Module 3 - Disruption: Leadership in a World of Robots, Big Data, and Artificial Intelligence
- Speakers and sessions in this module will explore actions for 21st-Century global leadership where there will be tensions between technology and humanity and ethical decision-making with national security implications.
7:45 a.m. Breakfast
8:00 Table activity during breakfast
9:10 a.m. Keynote: Gen. (Ret.) Joseph Votel; H.B. Johnson, Jr. '26 Distinguished Speaker
10:30 a.m. Panel Discussion "Disruption, Deception, Disinformation: Challenges of Grey Zone Conflicts"
Gen. (Ret.) Joseph Votel
11:45 a.m. Lunch
12:30 p.m. Small Group Exercise: Disruption and Disinformation: Real or Fake News?
- In this session, each table will role-play and determine various sources of information to determine whether or not the content is bonafide news or fake/propaganda and why.
1:45 p.m. Poppy Crum, Caroline Dawn Wortham '12 Leadership Speaker, "Artificial Intelligence: Opportunities for Positive Disruption"
2:45 p.m. Interactive, Small-Group Exercise: Ethical Leadership Challenge
- In this feature of our annual leadership conference, table groups will view an unfolding scenario where, over the course of two rounds of through-provoking questions, participants will make ethical decisions and discuss moral temptations.
4:00 p.m. Closing Remarks
4:30 p.m. Adjourn
Interactive Exercises to Engage Participants
Throughout the conference, table groups will engage with one another through various guided activities. Each type of interactive exercise will engage individuals while exploring the presentations within each module. Learn more about the types of activities we will conduct for those exercises included in the schedule above.