Veterans Benefits

Virginia Military Survivors & Dependents Education Program (VMSDEP)

Provisions of this benefit state that a dependent of a (Virginia) military service member killed, missing in action, taken prisoner, or at least 90 percent disabled may be eligible for benefits. Additional information about the program and eligibility requirements are available at the Department of Veterans Services (DVS) website,

Once declared eligible, the DVS will send us a letter certifying your eligibility and period of eligibility. Report to the Financial Aid Office to have your enrollment completed.

Post-9/11 GI Bill – Chapter 33 is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. Additional information about the program and eligibility requirements are available at

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Public Law 111-32), amends the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) to include the children of service members who die in the line of duty after Sept. 10, 2001. The benefit is effective August 1, 2009; the same day the Post-9/11 GI Bill takes effect. Children of an active duty member of the Armed Forces who has died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, are eligible for this benefit. Additional information about this program and its eligibility requirements are available at

Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) Program - Chapter 35 - These benefits are for dependents of veterans who died or are totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability, missing in action or taken prisoner. Additional information and eligibility requirements are available at

Once declared eligible, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility. You must take your letter of eligibility to the Financial Aid Office in order to complete your enrollment for this program.

Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) – Chapter 1606 - This benefit is for those actively drilling with their guard/reserve unit. Applications and information are available at  Report to the Financial Aid Office with a copy of your “Notice of Basic Eligibility” to process your claim. If you want direct deposit, bring a copy of a voided check.

Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB-AD) – Chapter 30 - This benefit is for eligible veterans with an honorable discharge. Eligibility information is available at   Report to the Financial Aid Office with a copy of your DD 214.

Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation - Eligible students include the son or daughter of a Marine or Navy Corpsman that served with the Marines. They give one-year awards to every eligible student that applies from $1,500 up to $10,000. The website is

The Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier's professional and personal self-development goals. TA is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or by distance learning. The courses must be offered by schools that are registered in GoArmyEd and are accredited by accrediting agencies that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

In addition to degree programs, TA is available to Soldiers to complete a high school diploma and to complete certificate programs. However, TA will not be approved to complete credentials at the same or a lower educational level. TA is not authorized for programs beyond a master's degree.

All eligible soldiers will request TA through GoArmyEd.

By law, officers who use TA incur a service obligation. Active Duty officers incur an Active Duty Service Obligation (ADSO) of two years and Reserve Component officers incur a Reserve Duty Service Obligation (RDSO) of four years. The ADSO/RDSO is calculated from the date of completion of the last course for which TA was used.

How to Apply for Federal Tuition Assistance

The following documents should be uploaded to your e-file:

  • Statement of Understanding
  • Semester Schedule (with start and end dates)--obtain from Post View
  • Program Evaluation (Registered/Pre-Registered version--signed by your advisor or Maj. McKelvey)
  • Your itemized bill for the current semester (You must request this from Maj. McKelvey or directly from Student Accounting.)

The following should be submitted to Maj. Simone McKelvey:

  • FERPA Release
  • TA Authorization Form

Contact GoArmyEd at 1-800-817-9990 or Maj. Simone McKelvey (DOD Liaison) for assistance.