The VMI Department of Modern Languages and Cultures (MLC) has integrated leading-edge teaching technologies into the classroom. The technoloties available in the Scott Shipp Hall Language Media Center support specific MLC courses by providing expanded exposure to digital course content and by providing alternative digital assessment tools for faculty.
Provides communication between the master computer and the 24 work stations. Instructors may monitor student computers (audio and computer screen) and respond to questions or help related issues. The system also allows students to listen and record their own voices via headsets and watch video.
Pinnacle DC 1000 dual-stream digital video film editing equipment with readable CD-ROM Drive
HP 6200 ScannerNEC Overhead Projection System
65” Plasma screen with SCOLA foreign-language programming
Equipment available for checkout
- For recording: 4-VCRs
- For viewing: TV/VCR combos, DVD player (multi-region)
- For video conferencing: Web Cams
- For movie-making: Mini Flip video cameras
- For movie-making: Canon Video camera with tripod
- Mini digital voice recorder
- Rosetta StoneVirtual Conversations
- Learn Arabic!
- VMI Modern Languages faculty-created audio exercises
- Deutsch Na Klar!videos
- Schau ins Land: Monthly German audio news magazine
- Instructor- created WinCalis exercises for all French classes
- Instructor-created materials for each level of Japanese
VMI Modern Languages cadet-created audio and video work
Audio and video supplementary materials for the texts used in all languages taught at VMI
- SCOLA foreign-language programming is available for all languages taught at VMI