The Chemistry department provides cadets who major in chemistry with a strong foundation in chemistry, mastery of modern chemical instrumentation, excellent analytical and mathematical skills, and the ability to think things through and solve problems.
All majors are encouraged to participate in an undergraduate research experience under the guidance of a faculty member either in a 10-week summer program or during the academic year.
The chemistry department's Bachelor of Science is approved by the American Chemical Society, and cadets fulfilling the requirements for a Bachelor of Science are certified as having met the standards of professional training by the society.
The Bachelor of Arts degree provides cadets with an opportunity to pursue other interests in preparation for a career of their choosing while providing a solid foundation in the basic areas of chemistry. This degree requires cadets to choose another focus area outside of chemistry and complete either a minor, concentration or certification. Faculty members work closely with Bachelor of Arts majors to design a program that best meets the cadets' career goals. Career choices may correspond to the following focus areas:
- Medical or dental school - Concentration in biochemistry and molecular biology
- Military or intelligence agencies - International Studies minor, science and security minor, Arabic minor
- Law enforcement or forensics - Concentration in biochemistry and molecular biology
- Business/MBA - Business or Economics minor
- Math/science teacher - Teacher certification program