Call for Presentations
Virginia Military Institute’s Center for Leadership and Ethics is pleased to announce a Call for Presentations for the 26th Annual Environment Virginia Symposium.
Abstracts will be accepted online August 5 – October 3, 2014.
We invite submissions from business, government, academia, and non-profit organizations. Graduate and undergraduate students are also invited to submit for this sole call for the 2015 symposium. Abstracts will be accepted under the following categories.
- Air Quality
- Climate Change
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Energy Development and Use Efficiency
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Management Systems
- Human Health and the Environment
- Industrial Process Efficiency and Improvements
- Land Conservation
- Land Reclamation
- Materials Recovery
- Policy and Regulation
- Stormwater Management
- Toxic Chemicals
- Water Resources
- Water Reuse
- Water Supply and Quality
Abstracts must be submitted electronically and should contain fewer than 350 words. Please indicate the category of your abstract. The deadline for submission is October 3, 2014.
Abstracts should address the following questions:
- What problem were you trying to solve?
- What was the scope of your work?
- Regional including Virginia.
- Outside of Virginia but replicable within the commonwealth.
- What was your approach to solving or making progress on the problem?
- What were your results?
- What are the implications of the results? How can those results be used by others?
Abstracts will be reviewed by a panel of three to five experts in a blind review process and will be judged on the following criteria:
- Measurable/demonstrated environmental improvement or impact.
- Incorporation of data and/or case studies.
- Relevance to Virginia and ability to replicate results.
A limited number of presentations will be accepted. Panels will be considered and individual abstracts for each panelist must be submitted.
Notification of acceptance will be issued on November 14, 2014.
Accepted speakers are responsible for their symposium registration fee at the early rate and their own hotel and transportation costs.
The full symposium program will be developed through a combination of invited plenary speakers, invited break-out session presenters, and presenters chosen based on submitted abstracts. Authors of accepted presentations must be available to present on Tuesday, March 31; Wednesday, April 1; and Thursday, April 2. Presentations schedule will become available by February 13, 2015.