Composting and Recycling at the 23rd Annual Environment Virginia Symposium
At this year's Environment Virginia Symposium the Center for Leadership and Ethics worked with Black Bear Composting, Aramark, VMI Physical Plant, and cadets to reduce the amount of waste sent to the landfill. Conference attendees helped to make the composting and recycling efforts a great success.
77.5% of refuse was diverted from the landfill.
Here are the estimated numbers from Physical Plant and Black Bear Composting reports:
- 540 lbs of trash sent to the landfill
- 1,452 lbs of compostables
- 300 lbs cardboard (3 cu yd by volume, 100 lbs per cu yd)
- 60 lbs paper (3 bags, 20 lbs per bag)
- 50 lbs plastic/aluminum (5 bags, 10 lbs per bag)
- Total Refuse: 2,402
- Lbs diverted: 1,862 lbs
- Diversion rate: 77.5%
Compostable Collection Numbers:
- We ended up using 17 carts. However, about 5 were half full or less.
- By volume, we collected 3.63 cubic yards of compostables
- By weight, we collected 1,452 lbs of compostables
- Buffet lunches filled about 4 carts per day (front of house)
- Buffet breakfast filled about 2 carts per day (front of house)
Trash & Other Recycling Numbers:
- Trash was kept to well under a 23 gallon container per station per day.
- Plastics almost filled about a 23 gallon container per station per day
- Paper filled about half a 23 gallon container per station per day
- We did a great job minimizing the volume of contaminants in the collected compostables. Overall, we had less than a 2 gallon bucket of contaminants in the 17 carts.