About Our Cadet Peer Educators
The CPEs return to VMI during cadre training week and work through the training program with the Center for Cadet Counseling staff. A strong applicant must be either a rising third, second, or first class cadet who is able to return early for Cadre Training Week (1 week prior to Corps Return).
A CPE applicant ideally will possess the following qualities:
- Must be a rising third, second, or first class cadet enrolled at VMI
- Ability to be present for Cadre training week in the fall of the year applying for CPE position (and may not travel abroad during this time)
- While we encourage our cadets to participate in other activities on Post and in the community, our applicants must be able to balance the rigorous schedule at VMI with the CPE role and time commitment of 20 hours/semester (approximately 2 hours/week)
- Interest in promoting healthy behaviors among BR’s
- Open mind to cultures, practices, and sexual orientation that differ from your own
- Ability to be sensitive to topics that are controversial or embarrassing and a willingness to talk about them forthrightly
- Knowledge and skill to articulate the facts about healthy behaviors as well as educate about misperceptions or myths regarding behaviors and trends in health.
- Genuine compassion for fellow Cadets well-being and quality of life
- Willingness to speak in front of Cadets in an edifying, professional, inclusive, and nonjudgmental manner.
- Ability to facilitate small and large group discussion
- Ability to show concern one-on-one in a personal sharing format
- Cooperative member of a group, willing to be present in meetings both physically and mentally; able to provide insight into planning efforts and support the leader of the group.
- Bacchus and Gamma Certified Peer Educator training and pass the certification test
- Attendance to regularly scheduled meetings with CIC’s and/or Center for Cadet Counseling staff (non-cadets)
- Regular response to group emails regarding participation
- Behavior that is edifying of the group of CPE and an example to peers
To Apply for CPE, fill out the Cadet Peer Educator Application (AY 2014-2015) and send it in the VMI Post Mail to "the Center for Cadet Counseling, attn: CPE Application.
FOR AY 2014-2015 CPE Applicants, the due date is 17 February 2014.