Jackson House Opens for Season
The Stonewall Jackson House will reopen for the season this Saturday, March 1. -- VMI File Photo by Kevin Remington.
LEXINGTON, Va., Feb. 28, 2014 – The Stonewall Jackson House will reopen for the season this Saturday, March 1, after being closed for the winter months of January and February.
The historic house, in which Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson lived with his wife, Anna, immediately before the American Civil War, is open Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Sundays from 1 to 5 p.m. Guided tours are offered on the hour and half-hour, with the last tour beginning at 4:30. Visitors to the house can enjoy the restored garden and museum shop as well as the furnished period rooms, which feature many of the Jacksons’ possessions.
During the decade from 1851 to 1861, Jackson was a little-known college professor at the Virginia Military Institute, where he taught natural and experimental philosophy (encompassing topics taught today under the title “physics”) and instructed cadets in artillery tactics. In April 1861, Jackson left Lexington to lead the VMI Corps of Cadets to Richmond. Later that year, at the battle of Manassas, he received his famous nickname. By the time he died in May 1863 he had become famous for his victorious leadership of Confederate forces, and he was known as “Stonewall” in the North as well as the South. He is buried in Lexington.
The Stonewall Jackson House is one of three sites operated by the Virginia Military Institute Museum System. For more information, visit www.stonewalljackson.org or call (540) 464-7704.