Through the good graces and generosity of our loyal alumni, the biology department is fortunate to have a sizable private endowment. The endowment honors one of the most notable faculty members in the history of the Institute, Col. Robert P. "Doc" Carroll.
For 40 years, beginning in 1928, Doc Carroll imparted his wisdom on countless biology majors and was instrumental in placing many of them into medical school and dental school.
The fund has grown significantly over the years, providing money for equipment purchases and affording the department the opportunity to monetarily reward cadets for outstanding academic performance.
Contributions to the Carroll Fund can be made through the VMI Foundation.