Daniel Y. Pharr, Ph.D.
Ph.D. - University of Massachusetts, Amherst (1983)
M.A. - Wake Forest University (1978)
B.S. - University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (1976)
Specialty: Analytical Chemistry & Spectrophotometry
405E Maury-Brooke Hall
Virginia Military Institute
Lexington, VA 24450
P: (540) 464-7419
F: (540) 464-7261
Dan Pharr is an analytical chemist with special interests in the effects of micellar solutions on atomic absorption spectrophotometry and D.C. Plasma spectrophotometry. He is also interested in environmental analysis, in particular the determination of petroleum products in groundwater and soil by synchronous scanning fluorescence. Dr. Pharr has been awarded the Hinman (1992) and Maury (1993) Research awards in recognition of his efforts to involve cadets in pertinent, current research projects. He is president of the VMI chapter of Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society; he also is an advisor for a local elementary school Science Club, and is a delegate to the Universities Council on Water Resources. He is the editor of the Journal of Undergraduate Chemistry Research. Away from the office, Dr. Pharr enjoys classical music since 1826 to the present (opera in particular) and Icelandic literature and history.
- Pharr, D.Y., Hickman, A. “Enhancement Effects of Surfactants on the DC Plasma Analysis of P-Block Elements, Part III: Antimony, Arsenic, And Bismuth”, J. Und. Chem. Res. 2013, 12(2), 28-32.
- Pharr, D.Y., Hickman, A., “Enhancement Effects of Surfactants on the DC Plasma Analysis of P-Block Elements, Part II: Germanium, Silicon, Tin, And Tellurium” J. Und. Chem. Res. 2012, 11(4), 102-106.
- Pharr, D.Y., Hickman, A., “Enhancement Effects of Surfactants on the DC Plasma Analysis of P-Block Elements, Part I: Gallium And Indium” J. Und. Chem. Res. 2012, 11(2), 54-58.
- Pharr, D.Y.,“A Review of the Use of Surfactants in Flow Injection Analysis” Analytical Letters, 2011, 44(13) 2287-2311.
- Pharr, D.Y., Tomsyck, J. A., "Flow injection analysis of benzoyl peroxide using N,N,N,N-tetramethyl-p-phenylenediamine (TMPDA) and surfactants“ Analytical Letters , 2009, 42(5), 821-832.