A collaborative effort with the Office of the Dean, the H.B. Johnson, Jr. ‘26 Distinguished Lecture Series attracts speakers who address key themes from international and cultural perspectives, including contemporary foreign and domestic issues, leadership, moral-ethical questions, and civic responsibilities.
Bob Woodruff, ABC News Reporter, is our Convocation Speaker for the 2017-18 academic year.
Bob Woodruff joined ABC News in 1996 and has covered major stories throughout the country and around the world for the network. He was named co-anchor of ABC's World News Tonight in December 2005. On January 29, 2006, while reporting on U.S. and Iraqi security forces, Mr. Woodruff was seriously injured by a roadside bomb that struck his vehicle near Taji, Iraq. In February 2007, just thirteen months after being wounded in Iraq, Mr. Woodruff returned to ABC News with his first on-air report, "To Iraq and Back: Bob Woodruff Reports." The hour-long, primetime documentary chronicled his traumatic brain injury (TBI), his painstaking recovery, and the plight of thousands of service members returning from Iraq and Afghanistan with similar injuries. Mr. Woodruff continues to cover traumatic brain injuries for all ABC News broadcasts and platforms and was honored with a Peabody Award in 2008 for his reporting on the subject. Mr. Woodruff will share his personal insights on overcoming adversity with his speech "In an Instant: Overcoming Intense Trauma and Uncertainty."
Mr. Woodruff has a law degree from the University of Michigan Law School and a BA from Colgate University. Bob Woodruff and his wife Lee live in Westchester County, New York, with their four children.
Laura Ingraham is the most listened-to woman in America on political talk radio, a best-selling author, and a contributor on several Fox News programs.
The Laura Ingraham Show is ranked in radio's Top 10 and heard coast-to-coast in 255 markets. Laura is the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Founder of the new website LifeZette.com, a cultural and political web destination for conservatives and independents. She is the author of several New York Times bestsellers including The Obama Diaries, Power to the People, Shut Up & Sing, and The Hillary Trap. She is a regular contributor on the Fox News Channel; appearances include Special Report, Fox & Friends, and Hannity. Also a former white-collar defense attorney and Supreme Court law clerk, Laura is a cancer survivor and a passionate supporter of our troops. She advocates for increased domestic and international adoption through her website AdoptANewAttitude.com and resides in Washington, D.C. with her three children. She also has a new book release: Billionaire at the Barricades: The Populists vs. the Establishment from Reagan to Trump due out in October.
- Robert Kaplan, Convocation 2016 speaker "Our Current Geopolitical Climate" - watch his speech on Our Current Geopolitical Climate
- Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster "Developing the Next Marshall: Trends in Future Strategic Leadership to 2040"
- Daniel Rodriquez "Goal Setting: Achieving Your Goals"
- Kirsten Powers, Convocation 2015 speaker, "Free Speech on College Campuses" - watch her speech on Free Speech on College Campuses
- Ray Kelly "A Conversation with Ray Kelly on his Memoir: Vigilance: My Life Serving America and Protecting its Empire City"
- Retired Four-Star General Keith Alexander "Ethical Dilemmas Facing Leaders in American National Security" - watch his presentation on Public Privacy and National Security
- Retired Lieutenant Colonel Dave Grossman "The Bulletproof Mind: Psychological Preparations for Combat."
- Edward Ayers, Ph.D. "The Shape of the Civil War"
- Nina Totenberg "The Supreme Court and Its Impact on You."
- Mr. Edward Viesturs "No Shortcuts to the Top."
- Lieutenant Governor Ralph Northan