Institute and Corps Sergeant Major
Posted Friday, November 17, 2017
Virginia Military Institute is accepting applications for the Institute and Corps Sergeant Major. The incumbent, reporting directly to the Commandant, supervises and/or performs the following activities:
- Oversees the general appearance of the Corps of Cadets and works with cadet regimental, battalion and company officers and noncommissioned officers to correct deficiencies in appearance and military bearing of cadets
- Works with custodial staff, Physical Plant, the Construction Office, and Cadet Government on barracks cleanliness and maintenance issues
- Coordinates cadet support of special events, on and off Post, requiring a color guard, cadet escorts, or other VMI presence
- Instructs the Color Guard in drill and ceremonies
- Serves as a counselor and advisor to cadet clubs and groups
- Serves as the Commandant’s Office contact for complaints and other human resource matters in the Corps of Cadets
- Works with the Commandant’s staff in planning training events and on special projects
- Supervises New Cadet Military Training program
- Performs Duties as Officer in Charge, Assistant Officer in Charge, Company Tactical Officer, room inspector, main POC for radios on Post, and main POC for wedding and funeral support on and off Post
- Supervises assigned company and staff cadets providing mentorship and advice in the conduct of their duties
- Provides daily hands-on supervision, mentorship and advice to any cadet, as required, as well as providing regular written performance feedback to assigned cadet leaders
- Ensures cadets, in the execution of leadership duties, adhere to published Institute regulations; enforce Institute appearance and behavior standards; provide performance feedback to direct reports, and assist in the development and assessment of emerging cadet leaders
- Provides mentorship and advice to key cadet leaders within areas of responsibility
- Reviews cadet performance academically, militarily, and physically
- Responsible for general order and discipline within the Cadet Corps
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience in MS Office programs including Word, Excel and PowerPoint required
- Able to work non-traditional hours weekdays and weekends
- Military experience a plus
- Experience working with students or in a college environment
- Experience preparing and managing organizational effectiveness
- Experience in event planning/execution
- Experience with Drill & Ceremony units preferred
This is a uniformed, professional faculty position, but military experience is not required.
Salary based on qualifications and experience.
Please include resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
Candidates must apply on-line at: http://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/94894
Applications accepted until the position is filled.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply.