Deputy Commandant for Operations, Plans, and Training
Posted Wednesday, December 20, 2017
Virginia Military Institute is accepting applications for the Deputy Commandant for Operations, Plans and Training. The incumbent, reporting directly to the Commandant, supervises and/or performs the following activities:
- Develops and coordinates all training for the Corps of Cadets.
- Synchronizes all operations and events planned by other areas of the Commandant’s staff and cadet staffs, and coordinates/deconflicts any activities of the Corps with other activities on Post
- Develops, publishes, and implements the Commandant’s Training Guidance, annual training plan, and training schedules.
- Develops Mission Essential Task Lists for the Cadre, New Cadets, and the Corps, and the training required to become proficient in those tasks.
- In charge of most aspects of Cadre Week and Matriculation Week, to include development of detailed training matrices, matriculation day in barracks, training of trainers, supervision/synchronization/deconfliction of training events, coordinating the participation and “pre-training” of NCAA New Cadets, running the Regimental Operations Center, the culminating Crucible event, and all of the off-post and “extracurricular activities” associated with those two vital weeks.
- Provides guidance to cadet regimental, battalion, and company leaders, particularly the cadet members of the Operations staff.
- Plans, trains for, and supervises all ceremonial parades and practice parades, to include the narration. Responsible for football march down.
- Develops training plans for Commandant’s Training Time (CTT). Oversees the effective execution of these plans.
- Responsible for the planning and set up of community service projects, activities, and “military” training for non-commissioning upperclassmen for the Spring Field Training Exercise (FTX).
- Works with the Department of Physical Education to develop training plans and schedules for Rat Challenge and other physical fitness activities.
- Develops plans for Corps trips, to include inaugurations and rat “field trips”.
- Updates and maintain the Corps SOP (Red Book).
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience in MS Office programs including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Able to work non-traditional hours weekdays and weekends
- Master’s Degree
- Experience working with students in a college environment
- Experience in operations and systems specific to military organizations
- Experience preparing and managing organizational budget and resourcing
- Experience in event planning/execution
- This is a uniformed, professional faculty position
Salary based on qualifications and experience.
Please include resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
Candidates must apply online at: http://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/97744
Applications accepted until the position is filled.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply.