Police Officers (3) - Full time
Posted Tuesday, January 23, 2018
Virginia Military Institute is accepting applications for (3) full-time Police Officers. These positions will serve on the night shift. The incumbents will have the following job responsibilities:
- Patrol VMI Post to investigate disturbances, protect life and property
- Monitor security and report safety hazards
- Operate communication and police equipment
- Enforce laws, including traffic regulations within jurisdictional boundaries
- Control crowds, traffic, parking and pedestrians during special functions and dignitary visits
- Prepare reports, conduct initial investigations, secure evidence, serve legal documents, testify in court and at hearings
All applicants for the position of police officer must meet the requirements of Virginia Code §15.2-1705. Such applicants shall:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be required to undergo a background investigation as described in VMI Police Department General Order 1-22
- Have a high school education or have passed a high school equivalency examination approved by the Board of Education
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Pass a physical/medical examination, subsequent to a conditional offer of employment, conducted under the supervision of a licensed physician
- Not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty or no contest to a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in the state of Virginia
- Minimum age of 21
- Not have produced a positive result on a pre-employment drug screening
- Shall not have been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to:
- any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, including but not limited to petit larceny under § 18.2-96, or any offense involving moral turpitude that would be a misdemeanor if committed in the Commonwealth
- any misdemeanor sex offense in the Commonwealth, another state, or the United States, including but not limited to sexual battery under § 18.2-67.4 or consensual sexual intercourse with a minor 15 or older under clause (ii) of § 18.2-371
- domestic assault under § 18.2-57.2 or any offense that would be domestic assault under the laws of another state or the United States.
The incumbents must also successfully complete a course of instruction at a police academy approved by the Virginia DCJS (unless currently certified as a Police Officer through DCJS in the Commonwealth of Virginia).
- Currently certified as a Police Officer in the Commonwealth of Virginia;
- Previous law enforcement, military or security experience; and
- Previous experience at VMI or another college/university
- College-level coursework in criminal justice
Starting salary commensurate with training & experience.
Applicants must apply on-line at: http://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/100028
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume with their application. Applications are accepted until the positions are filled.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against anyone because of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, age, or disability. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply.