Cadet-Athlete Development Office Tutors (part-time)
Posted Tuesday, November 21, 2017
Virginia Military Institute is accepting applications for part-time tutors in the areas of Chemistry, Mathematics (all levels), History, and Psychology.
This is a part-time hourly staff appointment reporting to the Assistant Athletics Director for Academic Services & Compliance and working directly with cadet-athletes in Cadet-Athlete Development Office content tutoring programs.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Maintain full commitment to compliance with NCAA, Southern Conference and Virginia Military Institute rules and regulations.
- Attend professional development training sessions and staff meetings as required
- Work with cadets on both group and individual basis to help foster their understanding of the course related subject area material and their own learning abilities and study skills.
- Arrive for individual tutoring appointments and groups tutoring sessions on time, and keep appointments and sessions on schedule, stay alert, minimize distractions from tutoring.
- Communicate effectively with cadet-athletes by establishing positive rapport and by keeping a professional, patient, and engaged demeanor.
- Support the unit’s tutoring philosophy, be familiar with the VMI Honor Code, and never do a cadet’s work for him or her or render a cadet improper academic aid/assistance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Completion of a junior year of college as an undergraduate.
Have successfully completed the class(es) or a similar class to be tutored as an undergraduate or graduate student and have made a grade of B or better, or have demonstrated through relevant professional experience (nursing, teaching, etc.) mastery of the material to be tutored.
A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in the discipline (or related discipline)
Have a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher as an undergraduate
Successful completion of the class(es) to be tutored as an undergraduate or graduate student with a grade of B or better.
Salary: $10-$15 per hour, depending on qualifications.
Online Applications: http://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/95320
Applications accepted until positions are filled.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against anyone because of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, age, or disability. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply.