Civil War & Shenandoah Valley History
Henkel & Kagey Family Letters, 1863-1864
Civil War Manuscripts top level
This collection contains Civil War era documents concerning the Henkel and Kagey families of New Market, Virginia. The Reverend Paul Henkel, a Lutheran minister, settled in the Valley in the late 18th century. His descendants prospered and remained in New Market throughout the 19th century, where they ran mercantile and printing businesses, farms, and a flour mill; several members of the family were physicians. The Kageys were also a well known Valley family, related by marriage to the Henkels. David H. Henkel, the author of two of the letters in this collection, was born circa 1839 in Shenandoah County, Virginia. At the beginning of the war he was working as a miller in New Market. He enlisted as a private in Company G., 10th Virginia Infantry on April 18, 1861 ; in July 1862 joined the New Market Artillery (Capt. George W. Wooding's Company Virginia Light Artillery; later Capt. Berryman Zirkle Price's Company). In August 1863 he was promoted to Hospital Steward, McIntosh's Battalion and served until the end of the war. He married Leanna Printz in Page County on October 9, 1864.
View the Original Documents, as listed below
- Letter, 1863 January 2. Confederate soldier David Henkel (Price's Light Artillery Company) to his brother; discusses wounding of Capt. George W. Wooding; winter quarters.
- Letter, 1863 June 19. David to brother; on march to Maryland; needs money.
- Letter, 1863 November 7. Mary Kagey of New Market to her brother David Kagey, a student at the University of Virginia; discusses family news, domestic matters, news of soldiers' capture.
- Letter, 1864 January 15. Abram Henkel to David Kagey; discusses news from family and friends; yankees at Martinsburg & Winchester; substitutes in army.
- Document, circa 1865. Solon P. C. Henkel, M.D. request for reimbursement for goods taken from his farm by Union soldiers and for medical supplies used while he cared for Union soldiers at the Federal hospital in New Market.