The Army Specialized Training Program (ASTP) was established by the War Department in 1942. Under the program, Army enlisted men were sent to various colleges and universities to take coursework in engineering and allied subjects. The first ASTP students arrived at VMI on May 7, 1943; the program ended on April 27, 1946, with a total of 2, 148 having taken part in the Institute's ASTP courses.
These "Army students" were typically stationed at VMI for a few weeks or months and then were sent overseas or for additional training elswhere. They were not enrolled as VMI cadets and are not carried on the rolls as VMI alumni. However, shortly after the war Institute officials compiled a complete roster of the men who trained at VMI, which is available below.
View selected documents from the VMI Archives