Cadets will need an ID (driver's license, passport, etc.) and insurance information. Required academic and medical forms. More information about forms:
Refer to the New Cadet Handbook.
New cadets who did not attend the Summer Transition Program will be issued athletic uniforms at matriculation. New cadets who did attend the Summer Transition Program should bring all uniform items issued to them.
Clothing recommendations are based on having to change clothes two or three times a day during the August heat.
Do not cut your hair to VMI standards prior to matriculation; VMI will take care of your first cadet haircut. You may donate your hair if it is at least 8 inches long to Locks of Love or other similar charities. Inform the barber if you want to donate your hair.
Cadets may bring one piece of luggage not larger than 31"x17"x13". All smaller luggage pieces/stored belongings must fit inside the large piece. Limited storage space is available in the trunk room. It is recommended your luggage be lockable. Sensitive and expensive items should not be stored in the barracks' trunk room. VMI does not have insurance to cover damage, loss, or theft.
Most items should be brought from home, but some items may be purchased at the VMI Bookstore (540-464-7637), at the VMI Military Store [Quartermaster Department's (QMD's)] (540-464-7303).
Required Personal Items
- Body / Foot powder/shoe spray
- Shaving razor(s)
- Shampoo & Conditioner
- Small packages of tissues
- Body soap
- Medication (if required)
- Shaving Cream
- Moleskin (type of bandage)
- Tissues (Box)
- Antibiotic Cream
- Eyeglasses (2 pairs), if needed - no transitions lenses allowed
Recommended Academic Supplies:*
- Calculator (scientific or graphing)
- Engineering paper (for engineering majors)
- Laptop Computer (desktop computers and iPads not allowed). VMI strongly recommends you bring a laptop computer. Cadet Computer Support (CCS) is available to provide technical support, system and software recommendations, instructional documents, repairs, and troubleshooting. Approved laptop and software information
**Items available at the QMD (as replacement items)
*Available at the VMI bookstore except the laptop computer.
Prohibited items that will be confiscated:
- Weapons of any type
- Knives of any type
- Electrical equipment and appliances (including microwave ovens, hot pots, heating elements, etc.)
- Plants and pets
- Flammable materials including candles, fireworks, incense, etc.
- TVs, or any other type of entertainment media
- Alcohol, illegal drugs or associated paraphernalia
Prohibited until after Breakout:
- Cell phones
- Electric razors
- Radios (to include alarm clock radios)
- DVDs, CDs, computer games
- iPods or similar devices and MP3 players
- Computer speakers
- Transition lenses in eyeglasses
- Clothing with emblems/logos, to include socks, underwear, T-shirts, linens, and towels