Annual Cold War Essay Contest
For the eleventh consecutive year, the John A. Adams ’71 Center for Military History & Strategic Analysis at the Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Va., is proud to announce the winners of our annual essay contest, which awards the best unpublished papers on Cold War military history. Any aspect of the Cold War (1945-1991) era is eligible, including papers on U.S. military strategy, plans, and operations; the relationship between the armed forces and society; international security affairs; and the connections between Cold War military history and contemporary geopolitical challenges. Below are the 2015 award recipients.
2015 COLD WAR ESSAY CONTEST
Awarded December 2015
First prize: $2,000
An “Arsenal of Democracy” for the Space Age: The Militarized Undertones of U.S. Space Programs, 1946-1959
By Victor Rodriguez II, San Jose State University
Second Prize: $1,000
Seeding True Terror: Tactical Nuclear Weapons in the Eisenhower Administration
By John Alic, Independent Consultant
Third Prize: $500
Before There Was FEMA: The Military Response to the “Blizzards of 1949”
By David Mills, Minnesota West Community & Technical College
John Boyd, Maneuver Warfare, and the Marine Corps’ Search for Meaning
By Major Ian Brown, USMC
We Need to Win the People: U.S. Psychological Warfare and Propaganda during the Dominican Intervention of 1965
By Matthew D. Jacobs, Embry-Riddle College of Security and Intelligence
Black Panthers or “Little Monsters” in To-rail Black; The Narrow Gauge Diesels on the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railway—A Operations Research Perspective
By Kerry Skidmore, Cheyenne Depot Museum
Past Essay Contest Award Winners
The John A. Adams ’71 Center for Military History and Strategic Analysis sponsors an annual scholarly essay contest, with topics focusing on the U. S. military in the Cold War years (1946-1991).
Contest Winners by Year
2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09, 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2014
Full-Text Papers (Alphabetical by author)
- Allen, Neil. “Past Experience Merges with Current Circumstances during Two Cold War Interwar Periods”.
- Andy, Joshua. “A Comparative Study of Military Spending in the Soviet Union under Nikita Khrushchev and in the United States under Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1953-1961”.
- Anziska, Seth "Reagan's Cold War in the Middle East: Israel, the Palestinians and the Limits of Lebanon, 1981-1984"
- Bacevich, Andrews. "Elusive Bargain: The Pattern of U. S. Civil-Military Relations since 1945"
- Bakich, Spencer D. "Strategy in the Shadow of Threat: America and China in Korea and Vietnam"
- Bielakowski, Alexander M. “U.S. Army Mechanized Reconnaissance during the Cold War, 1946-1990”
- Bright, Christopher J. "When Ding Dong Rang the Bell. The U.S. Air Force and the Genie Nuclear Air-to-Air Rocket"
- Bradbeer, Thomas G. "The Seeds of Our Destruction: The United States and the Battle of Dien Bien Phu"
- Carpenter, Ryan P. "Serve Notice to the Soviets:" Caspar Weinberger, the Defense Budget, and the Transition to the Reagan Administration"
- Coleman, Bradley L. "Recovering the Korean War Dead, 1950-1958: Graves Registration, Forensic Anthropology, and Wartime Memorialization”
- Colella, Robert A. "The Suez Crisis 1956: Rational Actors...Irrational Decisions"
- Curatola, John M. "The Atomic Air Offensive and the Change in American Military Traditions 1945-1950"
- Deaile, Melvin G. III. “The SAC Mentality: The Development of Organizational Culture within Strategic Air Command, 1948-51”.
- Dean, Robert K. "The Quiet Death of Universal Military Training: How America Lost an Opportunity to Close Civil-Military Gap"
- Dobson, Alan P. "Reagan's Strategies and Policies: Of Ideology, Pragmatism, Loyalties, and Management Style"
- Eames, Anthony "The Trident Sales Agreement and Cold War Diplomacy"
- Friedman, Hal M. "Reactions: Lessons of the Korean War and the Public Debate over Containment and American National Military Strategy, 1950-1955"
- Gole, Henry G. “General William DePuy: His Relief of Subordinates in Combat”
- Higby, Patrick. “Promise and Reality: Beyond Visual Range (BVR) Air-To-Air Combat”.
- Hudson, Walter M. “Decentralization and Democracy in the U.S. Zone of Occupied Germany after World War II”.
- Jacobs, Leland. "The Cold War Comes to Lincoln: The Lincoln Air Force Base, 1952-1966"
- Jones, D. "Some Play Chess, Others Play Checkers: An Analysis of the Insurgencies and Counterinsurgencies in Malaya and Vietnam and the Implications of Success and Failure"
- Jones, Matthew. “Targeting China: US Nuclear Planning and ‘Massive Retaliation’ in the Far East, 1953-1954”
- Kim, Jinwung. “A Policy of Amateurism: Rice Policy of the U.S. Army Military Government in Korea, 1945-1948”
- Kim, Jinwung. "Political Implications of Farmland Policy of the U.S. Army Military Government in Korea, 1945-1948"
- Kuehn, John T. "Navy Peacetime Aerial Reconnaissance During the Late Cold War in the Soviet Far East Military District and South China Sea"
- Maar, Henry "Three Megatons of 'Peace': The Revolutionary MX Missile and the Meaning of Survival in the Atomic Age"
- Martin, Justin D. "Another Way to Peace: Ronald Reagan and Grand Strategy, 1981-1984"
- Milne, David. “‘Our equivalent of guerrilla warfare:’ Walt Rostow and the Bombing of North Vietnam, 1961-1968”
- Palmer, Michael A. "The Genesis of the Sixth Fleet: The U. S. Navy and Early Cold War Foreign Policy in the Mediterranean, 1946-1948"
- Pash, Melinda. "All for the Fight?: Mustering in for the Korean War"
- Pomeroy, Steven A. “A Quiver of Golden Arrows: The Evolution of American Mobile Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles”
- Prados, John. “Pitfalls in Knowing Your Enemy”.
- Seipp, Adam R. "In a Foreign Land: GIs, West Germans, and Refugees in Franconia, 1945-60"
- Stringer, Kevin D. "The Light Infantry Division: Cold War Chimera"
- Trauschweizer, Ingo W. “Learning From Allies: The U.S. Army and the Bundeswehr in the Cold War”
- VanderGiesen, William. "American National Security and the Philippines, 1957-1961"
- Walker, David M. “Eisenhower and Nuclear Transformation: an (Abortive) Revolution in Military Affairs”
- Ward, Thomas J., Jr. "Detachment Number 1: African-American Prisoners at Camp 5 during the Korean Conflict"
- Werrell, Kenneth P. “The Sanctuary That Wasn’t: The Myth and Reality of the Communist Sanctuary during the Korean War”
- Westermann, Edward B. “Relegated to the Backseat: Farm Gate and the Failure of the Air Advisory Effort in South Vietnam, 1961-1963”