Tappey H. Jones '70, Ph.D.
Ph.D. - University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (1974)
B.S. - Virginia Military Institute (1970)
Specialty: Organic Chemistry & Natural Products Chemistry and Chemical Ecology
405D Maury-Brooke Hall
Virginia Military Institute
Lexington, VA 24450
P: (540) 464-7422
F: (540) 464-7261
Dr. Jones is an organic chemist with research interests in natural products chemistry and chemical ecology. The major focus of this work is the structure and stereochemistry of ant venom alkaloids and other formicid exocrine secretions. Prior to coming to VMI, Dr. Jones taught at Old Dominion University, Furman University, the U.S. Naval Academy, and the College of William and Mary. He served as a Postdoctoral Associate at the University of Georgia, and as a Postdoctoral Fellow at Cornell University. He spent six years at the National Institutes of Health (Bethesda, MD) as a Staff Fellow. Tappey Jones is an accomplished researcher, with over 130 publications to his name, and over $800,000 in grants awarded. He enjoys jazz music, and the halls of the science building are often treated to the mellow sound of his saxophone in the wee hours of the morning.
- R.M.M. Adams, J. Liberti, A.A. Illum, T.H. Jones, D.R. Nash, J.J. Boomsma, Chemically armed mercenary ants protect fungus-farming societies. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci.(2013).
- T.H. Jones, R.M.M. Adams, T.F.Spande, H.M. Garaffo, T. Kaneko, T.R. Schultz. Histrionicotaoxin alkaloids finally detected in an ant. J. Nat. Prod. 75: 1930-1936 (2012).
- A.C. Jones, D.E. Mullins, T.H. Jones, S.M. Salom. Potential feeding deterrents found in hemlock wooly adelgid, Adelges tsugae. Naturwissenschaften. 99: 583-586 (2012).
- M.F. Cooperband, K. Boroczky, A. Hartness, T.H. Jones, K.E. Zylestra, J. H. Tumlinson, V. C. Mastro. Male Produced Pheromone in the European Woodwasp, Sirex noctilio(Hymenoptera: Siricidae). J. Chem. Ecol. 38: 52-62 (2012).
- R.M.M. Adams, T.H. Jones, A.W. Jeter, H.H. de Fine Licht, T.R. Schultz, D.R. Nash. A Comparative Study of Exocrine Gland Chemistry in Trachymyrmex and Sericomyrmex Fungus-growing Ants. Biochem. Syst. and Ecol. 40: 91-97 (2012).
- W.A. Shear, T.H. Jones, T. Wesener: Glomerin and homoglomerin from the North American pill millipede Onomeris sinuate (Loomis, 1943). Int. J. Myriapod. 4: 1-10 2011).
- W.A. Shear, I.S. McPherson, T.H. Jones, S. F. Loria, K.S. Ziegler: Chemical defense of a troglobiont millipede, Tetracion jonesi Hoffman (Diplopoda, Callipodida,Abacionidae). Int. J. Myriapod. 3: 153-158 (2010).
- T.H. Jones: Methods and compositions for pest control. U. S. Patent Application 61/409,711, Nov. 3, (2010).
- R.M. M. Adams, T.H. Jones, A.W. Jeter: Male specific tyramides from three additional myrmicine genera. Biochem. Syst. Ecol., 38:454-456 (2010).
- W.A. Shear, A. J. Snyder, T.H. Jones, H.M. Garraffo, N.R. Andriamaharavo: The chemical defense of the Texas cave harvestman Chinquipellobunus madlae. J. Arach. 38: 126-127 (2010).
- T.H. Jones, H. M. Garraffo, T.F. Spande, N.R. Andriamaharavo, J.S.T. Gorman, A. J. Snyder, A.W. Jeter, J. A. Torres, R.R. Snelling, J.W. Daly: Caste-Specific Tyramides from Myrmicine Ants. J. Nat. Prod.73: 313-316 (2010).
- K. Boroczky, D.J. Crook, T.H. Jones, J.C. Kenny, K.E. Zylstra, V.C. Mastro, J.H. Tumlinson: Monoalkenes as contact sex pheromone components of the woodwasp, Sirex noctilio. J. Chem. Ecol., 35: 1202-1211 (2009).
- D.W. Davidson, N.F. Anderson, S.C. Cook, C.R. Bernau, T.H. Jones, A.S. Kamariah, L.B. Lim, C. N. Chan, D.A. Clark: An Experimental Study of Microbial Nest Associates of Borneo’s Exploding Ants (Camponotus Colobopsis species). J. Hym. Res., 18: 341-360 (2009).
- A.J. Snyder, T.H. Jones, G.C. Snelling, R.R. Snelling: Venom alkaloids from some Monomorium species J. Hym. Res., 18: 145-150 (2009).
- W. A. Shear, T.H. Jones, A.J. Snyder: Chemical defense of phalangodid harvestmen: Bishopella laciniosa (Banks) and Texella bifucata (Briggs) produce 2-methyl-5-ethylphenol (Opiliones: Grassatores: Phalangodidae). Bull. Brit. Arachnol. Soc.15: 27-28 (2010).
- T.H. Jones, A.N. Andersen, J.C. Kenny: Venom alkaloid chemistry of Australian speciesOf the Monomorium rothsteini complex, with particular reference to taxonomic Implications. Chemistry and Biodiversity. 6: 1034-1041 (2009).
- T.H. Jones, W.A. Shear, and G. Giribet: The chemical defenses of a styocellid (Arachnida, Opiliones,Styocellidae) from Sulawesi with comparisons to other Cyphophthalmi. J. Arachnol. 37: 147-150 (2009).
- D. Zhou, N. Toyooka,* H. Nemoto, K. Yamaguchi, H. Tsuneki, T. Wada, T. Sasaoka, H. Sakai, Y. Tezuka, S. Kadota, T. H. Jones, H. M. Garraffo, T. F. Spande, and J. W. Daly: Synthesis, Determination of the Absolute Stereochemistry, and Evaluations at the Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors of a Hydroxyindolizidine Alkaloid from the Ant Myrmicaria melanogaster . Heterocycles. 79: 565-571 (2009).
- J.P. Lelito, K. Boroczky, T.H. Jones, I. Fraser, V.C. Mastro, J. H. Tumlinson, T.C. Baker: Behavioral evidence for a contact sex pheromone component of the Emerald Ash Borer, Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire. J. Chem. Ecol. 35:104-110 (2009).