Virginia Military Institute admits cadets regardless of financial circumstances or aid eligibility. When creating a financial aid award, the Office of Financial Aid works to provide the best package possible based on the information provided.
- Apply for admission to Virginia Military Institute. Cadets must be appointed to the Institute before a financial aid offer is made.
- Submit the VMI Statement of Educational Purpose along with your admission application. Deadline March 1.
- Create an FSA ID and password on the Federal Student Aid website to serve as your electronic signature.
Beginning October 1, the “Free Application for Federal Student Aid” (FAFSA) is available for free to complete on the Federal Student Aid website using prior-prior year taxes. We encourage families to file regardless of income and use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- Students should specify 003753 as the code number for Virginia Military Institute.
- Apply now: Federal Student Aid website. Deadline March 1.
- Should you believe you are not eligible to complete the FAFSA and are a Virginia Resident, see https://schev.edu/index/tuition-aid/vasa/ for possible alternatives that might allow you to receive state aid. If you have questions, please contact our office at 540-464-7217.
- After you’ve been appointed and we have received your FAFSA (or VASA Application), and VMI Statement of Educational Purpose along with any other documentation that has been requested, we will send you a paper copy of your Financial Aid Award describing the aid you are eligible to receive. You will also be informed electronically of your award so that it may be viewed in Post View.
The process for applying for financial aid is the same for current cadets except for having to apply for admission to the Institute.