Virginia Military Institute admits cadets regardless of financial circumstances or aid eligibility. When creating a financial aid award, the Office of Financial Aid works to provide the best package possible based on the information provided.
- Apply for admission to Virginia Military Institute. Cadets must be appointed to the Institute before a financial aid offer is made.
- Submit the VMI Financial Aid Application along with your admission application. Deadline March 1.
- Create an FSA ID and password online at fsaid.ed.gov to serve as your electronic signature.
- Beginning October 1, the “Free Application for Federal Student Aid” (FAFSA) is available for free to complete at fafsa.gov using prior year taxes. We encourage families to file regardless of income and use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
Students should specify 003753 as the code number for Virginia Military Institute. Apply now: www.fafsa.gov. Deadline March 1.
- After you’ve been appointed and we have received your FAFSA, and VMI Financial Aid Application along with any other documentation that has been requested, we will send you a paper copy of your Financial Aid Award describing the aid you are eligible to receive. At that time, you should be able to review your financial aid awards online.
The process for applying for financial aid is the same for current cadets with the exception of having to apply for admission to the Institute.
FAFSA Priority Deadline – March 1 - If you miss the Priority Deadline, you should still complete the FAFSA and financial aid application. However, the availability of funds will be limited. Tips for completing or correcting the FAFSA
Financial Aid Verification
You may be randomly selected by the Department of Education for financial aid verification. If selected you must:
- Complete the Verification Worksheet Dependent. If you are an independent student complete the Verification Worksheet Independent.
- Students selected for verification are encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS-DRT). In lieu of the IRS-DRT, if you and your parent are tax filers, you need to request a 2017 Tax Return Transcript, free of charge from the IRS online at www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript or by telephone at (800) 908-9946, and provide our office with a copy.
- This handout should assist you if you feel you are a victim of identity theft. Victim of Identity Theft
Financial Aid Appeals
To request a review for appeal by the Director of Financial Aid, please complete one of the following forms and submit it to the VMI Financial Aid Office along with all supporting documentation: