The Virginia Museum of the Civil War is dedicated to perpetuating the battle site as a memorial to the VMI cadets at the Battle of New Market and to preserving and interpreting the military and social history of the Shenandoah Valley from 1858 to 1868. There are several ways to contribute time to support this mission.
Volunteer positions are open to all individuals who meet the qualifications outlined below without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age or disability. After submitting your application, you will be contacted to schedule an interview. If hired, you will be required to attend the training seminar and then you and the Volunteer Coordinator will work to create a schedule.
- Dedication to the Park’s mission and values of the Volunteer Corps
- Integrity to represent the Park and uphold the legacy entrusted to us
- Open-mindedness and patience to interact with visitors whose view of the Civil War may differ from your own
- Reliability fulfills your volunteer commitment
- An annual volunteer recognition event
- 25% discount on all Museum Store purchases
- Use of the research library
- Free or reduced admission to special events
- Resume building
- Educational opportunities
- Flexible time commitments
- Make new friends
- Earn a free admission pass for every 8 hours of volunteering
- Training seminar and materials