Spend the summer living and working on the New Market Battlefield.
Established by noted author Jeff Shaara, the Scholar-in-Residence Program provides cadets an opportunity to be stewards of VMI’s history while working at the signature Virginia Museum of the Civil War and New Market Battlefield State Historical Park. Cadets are members of the staff for the summer and are exposed to all facets of the museum operation. The main duty is to be VMI’s representative to the visiting public.
- A 10-week summer internship program
- Housing in the historic Bushong House
- $4,000 stipend
- An autographed set of the Civil War Trilogy by authors Michael and Jeff Shaar
How to Apply
- Applications must be submitted no later than April 15.
- Any rising 3rd, 2nd or 1st Class VMI cadet, regardless of major and in good standing, is eligible to apply.
- A four-member committee comprised of members of the VMI history department and the VMI museum staff determines the award recipient.
- The Shaara Scholar will be announced at the spring Cadet Awards Convocation.
Terms of Residence
The Shaara Scholar will be provided housing in the Bushong Farm House, New Market Battlefield State Historical Park for the period not less than 10 weeks commencing the first week of June and running through the first week of August.
- The Shaara Scholar will be employed as a member of the museum staff and rotate through all departments of the museum, thus receiving a broad exposure to the museum profession.
- Experiences will include leading tours of the New Market Battlefield and Bushong Farm, working with the ground maintenance crew, and assisting with administrative duties during a 40-hour workweek.
- The Shaara Scholar will be required to wear the VMI uniform and maintain cadet standards of grooming and deportment while on site.