Appointments are conditional until applicants have met all medical requirements and successfully completed your current academic program.
Incoming matriculants for the Class of 2025 that wish to delay their enrollment at VMI to the Fall of 2022 must send an email to the VMI Office of Admissions at email@example.com no later than 23 July 2021.
Additionally, those wishing to pursue this option will need to:
- Submit a NEW Application for Fall 2022 Admission. This is to ensure most current contact information is on file only, NOT a new application requesting reenrollment.
- The Application opens Aug. 1, 2021 and will be available at https://www.vmi.edu/admissions-and-aid/apply/.
- The application fee will be waived.
- Submit an updated Virginia Tuition Form (VA Residents Only)
- Available after August 1, 2021 on https://www.vmi.edu/admissions-and-aid/apply/how-to-apply/ under “Checklist of Required and Supplemental Documents”
- Submit updated VMI Medical Review Forms
- Submit final official transcripts for any college level academic work completed since their 2020-2021 Application to VMI.
Incoming matriculants who take this option will be appointed to the Class of 2026 as long as they maintain their academic standing, remain medically qualified and have no disqualifying or pending conduct issues.
All who request to defer enrollment from 2021-22 to 2022-23 will need to re-apply for need-based financial aid by submitting the 2022-23 FASFA and 2022-23 Statement of Educational Purpose.
Additional information about the Financial Aid application process may be found at: https://www.vmi.edu/about/offices-a-z/financial-aid/apply-for-financial-aid/
Training should include running, sit-ups, and pull-ups, which are required for the VMI Fitness Test (VFT), and a fitness program that will prepare you for calisthenics, marching, running on hilly terrain, and tests of stamina and agility such as the obstacle course. Mental preparation should involve improvement in self-discipline, emotional discipline, anger management, and coping with fatigue.
Summer Transition Program
The Summer Transition Program offers a chance to get a jump on your VMI experience before matriculation. Participants take a class, live in barracks, eat in the mess hall, and participate in physical training.
All new cadets must satisfy placement testing requirements before matriculating. In late May, you will receive correspondence from the Admissions team with instructions for enrolling for these required tests. All students take the mathematics placement test. Students who completed two or more years of a foreign language in grades 9 - 12 will take a language-specific placement test.
During matriculation, new cadets and their families have an opportunity to discuss studies from their chosen curriculum, sign the matriculation pledge and add their names to the matriculation book. Also at this time, new cadets receive room assignments, mailbox numbers, email addresses, and Reserve Office Training Corps (ROTC) information.