The VMI Police Department is staffed by 14 certified police officers and six security officers who provide safety and security 24-hours a day.
VMI Police officers are responsible for crime prevention, traffic enforcement and the investigation and prosecution of all criminal offenses that occur on Post, at any of VMI’s outlying properties and on the streets and sidewalks adjoining Post.
- Don’t walk alone if possible, especially at night.
- Report suspicious activity to the VMI Police or Lexington Police.
- Stay in well-lit areas at night, especially when entering and exiting buildings.
- If an area feels unsafe, inform the police to help them to improve the area's sense of safety.
- Be alert. Read email notifications of any criminal activity on Post.
- Avoid excessive drinking as it will lower your inhibitions and affect your judgment, increasing the risk of injury or victimization.
- Alcohol and Drug Policy
- Bias Reduction Policy
- Community Ride-Along Program Policy
- Constitutional Safeguards Policy
- Crime Prevention Policy
- Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct Policy
- Driver Qualification and Vehicle Use Policy
- Emergency Operation of Police Vehicles and Pursuits Policy
- Lost and Found
- Motor Vehicle Policy
- Violence Prevention and Threat Assessment Team
- Student Right to Know and Campus Security Act Policy
- Use of Force-General Policy
- Victim-Witness Services Policy