The museum focuses on the Civil War in Virginia with artifacts, photos, and dioramas. The 1864 Battle of New Market is featured. Be sure to catch the Emmy award winning film Field of Lost Shoes (2000) and the brand new Kaminsky Gallery of Civil War Firearms.
The museum was dedicated in 1970 as a monument with its metal drum-like rotunda and stylized rifles leaning against it. Inside is a red carpet representing sacrifice and a graceful ramp signifying the forward motion of the VMI Cadets charging up Bushong’s Hill.
The Museum Houses
- Original artifacts from the Bushong Family
- Original artifacts from VMI and Battle of New Market
- The Kaminsky Gallery of Civil War Firearms
- The Robert Raeburn Civil War Art Collection
- Field of Lost Shoes in the museum’s theater - watch trailer