Grounds Workers - Full-time
Posted Tuesday, January 26, 2021
VMI is accepting applications for full-time Grounds Workers to support VMI and the Corps of Cadets. As a new full time, state employee at VMI you will receive a generous benefits package with medical insurance, life insurance and retirement plan through the Virginia Retirement System. Additionally, employees will receive paid time off each year of more than 25 days and two weeks paid furlough at Christmas. There may be opportunity for overtime work in the evenings on on weekends.
Starting salary will be $28,080 ($13.50/hr.) plus Generous Benefits Package
- Perform day-to-day work schedule with a grounds crew as needed.
- Maintain a variety of planting, landscaped areas and tasks that include but are not limited to mowing, trimming and pruning, special event set up and tear down, furniture and equipment moving, minor equipment maintenance, grounds care and maintenance, landscape installation, snow and ice removal, and applying nutrients
- Responsible for the safe and efficient operation of trucks, mowers, tractors, front-end loader mowers, snowplows and other equipment related to preventive and corrective maintenance.
- Respond to emergency situations as required and directed
- Maintain planting and fertilization records.
- Have the ability to work overtime and weekends to support VMI functions.
- Uphold the established appearance and conduct standards to ensure the Physical Plant organization is represented to the highest level and respected in the VMI community.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of methods and general procedures of applicable trade or grounds maintenance techniques.
- Working skill in the use of equipment and tools.
- Ability to be available for stand-by and after hours duty
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to perform manual labor.
- Prefer High School graduate or equivalent.
Candidates must complete an online application: Grounds Workers - Full Time Job Application
A criminal background check will be required for selected candidate.
Applications are accepted until position is filled.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.