Laboratory Technician - Department of Psychology - Part-time
Posted Monday, January 27, 2020
The Department of Psychology at Virginia Military Institute is accepting applications for a part-time Laboratory Technician.
- Performing routine laboratory maintenance
- Troubleshooting hardware and software problems
- Maintaining laboratory supplies
- Assist in the development of policies, procedures, and/or methods for laboratory use, and keeping the laboratory area organized and clean.
- Assist in preparing for and conducting lab and research activities as needed – preparing simple charts, graphs, and reports from data.
- Provide computing assistance as needed with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook as needed.
- Training and/or demonstrating to students and/or other individuals a variety of lab procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Ability to coordinate details of an experiment as well as anticipate and solve technical problems
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and initiative
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work well with others as part of a team, to also independently
- Ability to multi-task
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Associates degree or equivalent formal training in Psychology or related field.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent formal training in Psychology or related field.
- Experience conducting research in social sciences preferred.
- Ability to set-up and maintain a database, assist with data analysis using SPSS, data scoring and reduction, and familiarity with computer programming software such as Qualtrics, PEBL, e-prime, etc., or the ability to learn software relevant to lab and research exercises.
Hourly Wage: $13 - $16 per hour depending on qualifications and experience.
Approximately 20 hours per week, not to exceed 1,500 hours per year. There are no health benefits associated with this position.
Candidates must complete an online application: Laboratory Technician - Department of Psychology - Part-time Job Application
Please also include a resume, cover letter, transcripts, and the contact information for (2) professional references. Review of applications will begin 2 weeks from the posting date and the position will be open until filled.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.