Custodians - Full-Time
Posted Tuesday, June 22, 2021
VMI is accepting applications for full-time Custodial Workers to support VMI and the Corps of Cadets. As a new full time, state employee at VMI you will receive a generous benefits package with medical insurance, life insurance and retirement plan through the Virginia Retirement System. Additionally, employees will receive paid time off each year of more than 25 days and two weeks paid furlough at Christmas. There may be opportunity for overtime work in the evenings on on weekends.
Salary: $28,080 - ($13.50 per hour), plus Generous Benefits Package
This position is responsible for keeping buildings clean and in orderly condition. Employees perform medium to heavy cleaning duties, such as cleaning floors, shampooing rugs, and washing walls and glass. Mops, wipes, sweeps and vacuums floors using broom, mop, vacuum cleaner and buffer and waxing equipment; washes and sanitizes chairs, tables, desks, walls, windows, woodwork, and other furniture and equipment; polishes furniture; gathers and disposes of trash; scrubs and cleans restroom areas and replenishes supplies; and occasional outside work as required.
Selectee will be required to wear a uniform and present a neat, professional appearance.
Training will be provided.
- Ability to perform a variety of cleaning tasks
- Ability to tolerate contact with a variety of cleaning products and solutions
- Ability to lift/move heavy objects up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to perform manual labor
- Ability to read and write the English language and to understand and follow oral/written instructions
- Ability to work in either a team or individual environment
- Ability to work well with students, staff, and members of the public.
- Possess a valid VA driver’s license
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Good customer service skills
- Working skills in the operation of manual and power cleaning equipment to include buffers, wet-dry vacuums, shampooers, and pressure washers
- Knowledge of cleaning methods and use of cleaning chemicals, equipment and supplies
- Knowledge of safety practices related to the work.
Applications accepted until filled.
Candidates apply online at: Custodians - Full-Time Job Application
Criminal background check required for selected candidate.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.