Posted Wednesday, October 14, 2020
Does solving intellectually challenging problems that can help improve the US national cybersecurity posture energize you? The Virginia Military Institute is the nation’s oldest state-sponsored Senior Military College, and a premier institute for leadership development, committed to exceptional preparation of citizen-soldiers, the blending of research with education, and superb educational programs in cyber and national security.
We are seeking a highly motivated candidate for a DoD-funded Software Developer position to join the team of the newly formed Cyber Defense Laboratory (CyDef). Candidates must be interested in software development for cybersecurity, modeling and data analytics, and visualization. This position will focus on software development of an evolutionary career-education platform on a cyber-Physical System (CPS) foundation, and building the online footprint of CyDef. Opportunities will also be provided to work on emerging problems of interest in cybersecurity research and education.
- B.S. in Computer Science or closely related fields with 2 years of related experience (or Associates degree with 4 years related experience)
- programming and scripting experience (e.g., C, C++, Java, Assembly, Python, Perl, Ruby, Bash, Node.js, Spark, Puppet, SALT, KAFKA, HADOOP, VHDL, Verilog)
- applying knowledge of data structures and algorithms to software engineering problems
- building user facing services, middleware, and backend systems
- developing, diagnosing, and operating complex computer systems
- identifying customer needs and validate product design
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- working independently as well as in a team environment to build solutions
- handling multiple assignments
- Proof of US Citizenship or permanent residency
Additionally, the ideal candidate is someone with knowledge and experience in one or more of the following:
- full-stack development - computer networking (e.g., communication protocols, distributed systems, Internet of Things, real-time systems, routing and switching)
- protocol analysis (e.g. Wireshark, tcpdump)
- data spaces, data modeling, data analysis, storage design, and administration
- simulation/model development & prototyping
- information retrieval, machine learning, artificial intelligence, statistics and analytics
- hardware and software vulnerability analysis
- software reverse engineering/interactive debugging tools (e.g., IDA Pro, Ollydbg, gdb)
- hardware reverse engineering tools (e.g., JTAG, Oscilloscopes)
- software development life-cycle (design, develop, implementation, debug, testing)
- kernel and device driver development
Salary based on qualifications and experience.
This is a full-time position with competitive salary and benefits package.
Candidates please apply online at: Software Developer Job Application
On-line applications accepted until the position is filled.
Please include a resume, cover letter of interest, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
This position is fully funded by a grant for the first year, and may be extended based on securing additional funds.
This position is expected to be performed on-site.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal education and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals, and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.