Civil & Environmental Engineering Term Lecturer - (non-tenure track)
Posted Monday, January 18, 2021
The Civil & Environmental Engineering Department of Virginia Military Institute invites applications for a three-year, full-time, non-tenure track position in the area of Civil Engineering. The position is renewable beyond the first three years at the Institute’s discretion. The appointment begins 1 August 2021.
Virginia Military Institute is a state-supported four-year undergraduate military college of liberal arts, engineering, and the sciences. There are approximately 1,700 students. It is located in the southern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia in the town of Lexington. Lexington, population 7,000, is also home to Washington and Lee University and offers a stimulating cultural atmosphere in a pleasant, rural setting. Lexington, Virginia is a charming college town and is often recognized as one of America’s “best small towns.” For more information about VMI please visit our site at http://www.vmi.edu .
The successful candidates will be expected to teach 12 contact hours each semester at various undergraduate levels and advise/supervise students. Engagement in scholarly activity or committee work will not be required. Performance is evaluated based on teaching and cadet development.
- Candidates must have excellent teaching and communication skills.
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering or a related field is required.
- The successful candidate will be expected to teach both traditional courses and labs in a variety of undergraduate Civil Engineering subjects such as: Introduction to Engineering, Statics, Solid Mechanics, Dynamics, Fluids, Materials, Soils, and Transportation.
- Candidates are not expected to teach in all areas, but should have teaching proficiency in more than one subject
- Industry experience and professional registration is preferred
Candidates, please apply online at: Civil & Environmental Engineering Term Lecturer (non-tenure track) Job Application
Applications accepted until the position is filled.
Applicants should include in their response a detailed curriculum vita, a clear statement of teaching interests and philosophy, a statement of scholarly and professional interests, and a list of at least three references with email addresses and phone numbers.
Selected candidate is required to complete a criminal background check.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal education and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals, and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.