Institutional Research Analyst
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2021
Virginia Military Institute is accepting applications for an Institutional Research (IR) Analyst position. Reporting to the Director for Institute Assessment and Evaluation, the IR Analyst works independently and collaboratively with campus stakeholders to support the Institute’s mission and strategic plan, as well as meet state and national reporting requirements. As a member of the Office of Assessment and Institutional Research, the IR Analyst acts as a data steward for the Institute, focused on gathering, analyzing, and reporting timely and accurate data. The position is open until filled and the committee will start to review applications in late January, early February.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assists the Associate Director of Institutional Research with reporting to IPEDS, SCHEV, US News, NCAA, and SACSCOC.
- Queries, compiles, analyzes, and summarizes data and other information needed for IR projects, such as the Common Data Set and ad hoc requests.
- Updates and maintains annually the VMI Fact Book.
- Synthesizes complex issues and presents them in a creative and non-technical manner in both print and online, including data visualizations and dashboards.
- Updates and maintains the office’s website with timely, relevant data and graphics.
- Assists with the SACSCOC compliance efforts as needed.
- Assists the Director in the analysis and reporting of other institutional data, as needed for planning, evaluation, and assessment.
- Participates in ongoing professional development activities to acquire and maintain knowledge and skills that are essential for performing the duties of the position and for supporting the Office in following best practices in data visualization and institutional research;
- Employs appropriate technologies for performing the duties of the position at the necessary level of proficiency, including the Institute’s Datatel/Colleague system of institutional data, applications in Microsoft Office (especially Access, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), the Institute’s email system (MS Exchange), Adobe Acrobat, Tableau, and statistical software (e.g., SPSS).
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree; previous experience with data analysis, managing databases, and managing website content. Must be able to collaborate effectively with Institute personnel, meet project quality standards and deadlines, and adapt easily to changing priorities.
Preferred Qualifications: Graduate degree in a relevant discipline; previous employment in higher education conducting educational, organizational, or institutional research (e.g., data entry, reporting to state and federal agencies, compilation and dissemination of fact books); demonstrated interest in broadening and deepening expertise in institutional research; proficiency with website management; familiarity with programming logic and conditional statements, familiarity with software languages for writing database queries and routines for use in Microsoft Excel; previous experience with SQL or SAS queries; and previous experience with Tableau.
Salary based on qualifications and experience.
Candidates, please apply on-line at: Institutional Research Analyst Job Application
Please include a resume, cover letter and contact information for three references.
On-line applications accepted until the position is filled.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal education and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals, and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.