Postal Assistant - part-time
Posted Tuesday, February 2, 2021
Virginia Military Institute is accepting applications for a part-time Postal Assistant to work in the Mail Room.
- Picks up mail from the US Post Office daily in bags weighing from 50 – 85 lbs.
- Brings mail to the VMI Mail Room and sorts into cadet and official mail
- Places mail in individual cadet mail boxes and distributes official mail on Post
- Collects and sorts outgoing mail for delivery to US Post Office or for on-Post distribution
- Operates postal metering equipment, uses package tracking software and operates gasoline and electric vehicles
Salary: $11.00 per hour
Hours: 25/30 hours per week – Monday through Friday.
The maximum hours for this position are 1,500 (May 1 through April 30)
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods
- Ability to lift bags and boxes
- Ability to learn operation of standard mail room equipment and package handling systems (USPS, FEDEX, UPS)
- Must have a valid Virginia driver’s license
- High school diploma or GED required
- Experience with the USPS, FEDEX, UPS or other package/freight operations is desirable
Candidates, please apply online at: Postal Assistant - part-time Job Application
Criminal background check required for all final candidates.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal education and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals, and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.