Deputy Chief Diversity Officer
Posted Friday, July 23, 2021
The Virginia Military Institute, located in Lexington, Virginia, invites applications for the full-time position of Deputy Chief Diversity Officer.
Virginia Military Institute is a state-supported four-year undergraduate military college of liberal arts, engineering, and the sciences. Located in the southern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Lexington, Virginia (pop. 7,000), is also home to Washington & Lee University and offers a stimulating cultural atmosphere in a pleasant, rural setting. Staff wear uniforms, but no prior military experience is required. For more information about VMI, please visit our website at http://www.vmi.edu
The Deputy Chief Diversity Officer will support post-wide efforts to strengthen diversity, equity, and inclusion as the Institute advances Inclusive excellence. Reporting to the Chief Diversity Officer, the Deputy Chief Diversity Officer supports the development and oversight of short-term and long-range diversity planning that aligns with VMI’s Strategic Diversity Plan. The Deputy will collaborate with the Chief Diversity Officer to collaborate with units across Post to form an inclusive and fulfilling Post experience. Diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) work is dynamic, and for that reason, the ideal candidate should be immersed in current events, research, and trends in DEI. The Deputy Chief Diversity Officer must understand the impact that the current emerging issues and social environment may have on the needs of Cadets, faculty, staff, alumnus, and the greater VMI community. It is essential that the candidate be adaptable, collaborative, educable, and exhibit strong communication, conflict management, and cross-cultural competency skills.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement data-driven diversity initiatives.
- Serve as a liaison with departments, and professional units, to create strategies to support recruitment and retention efforts for employee and Cadet diversity.
- Support and expand cross-cultural competency training program for students, faculty, and staff.
- Implement communication strategies for training and web resources for campus and external groups.
- Maintain strong collaborative relationships with key leaders throughout the community.
- Conduct and/or support post climate surveys, focus groups, intergroup dialogues, and matrix reporting.
- Establish strong relationships with Cadets and applicable Post organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree in counseling, education, or a related field with at least four or more years of experience working with diverse student populations in education.
- Master’s degree in counseling, education, or a related field
- Strong Administrative and leadership skills plus management experience;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- A passion for diversity, equity, and inclusion and commitment to inclusive excellence;
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with individual and groups across post and in the community;
- Experience with diversity planning in higher education;
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or other Institute employees;
- Ability to defuse conflict; self-motivated, cooperative and flexible.
Candidates, please apply online at: Deputy Chief Diversity Officer Job Application
Candidates, please provide a cover letter of interest, diversity statement, resume/cv, and the contact information for three professional references, in addition to the on-line application.
On-line applications are accepted until the position is filled.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes a generous benefits package.
Preferred response date for applications is July 31, 2021.
Criminal Background Check required for the final candidate.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals, and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs, and services.