Assistant Director of Admissions
Posted Wednesday, September 22, 2021
The Virginia Military Institute, located in Lexington, Virginia, invites applications for two full-time Assistant Directors of Admissions.
Virginia Military Institute is a state-supported four-year undergraduate military college of liberal arts, engineering, and the sciences. Located in the southern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Lexington, Virginia (pop. 7,000), is also home to Washington & Lee University and offers a stimulating cultural atmosphere in a pleasant, rural setting. Staff wear uniforms, but no prior military experience is required. For more information about VMI, please visit our website at http://www.vmi.edu
The Assistant Director of Admissions helps to coordinate a comprehensive recruitment program designed to identify candidates and enroll applicants to VMI. The incumbent will coordinate these efforts with other staff members, faculty and alumni. Other duties include recruitment travel, personal interviews, project development and application evaluation.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Communicate with prospective students, school administrators, guidance and/or college counselors and other vital decision makers in the college planning process in person, via phone calls, written and electronic communication, or through current technology to develop and nurture relationships to encourage enrollment and attendance at VMI.
- Develop new avenues to identify prospective cadets.
- Review applications and make admissions decisions
- Travel to recruit prospective cadets and talk with high school guidance counselors.
- Interview prospective cadets and parents on post.
- Coordinate projects as assigned by the Director of Admissions.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong administrative and leadership skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with individuals and groups across post and in the community.
- Ability to effectively present information to groups, and/or other Institute employees.
- Self-motivated, cooperative, and flexible.
This is a full-time, 12-month position with a generous benefits package.
The incumbent will wear a military uniform and observe military customs and courtesies. Military experience is desired but not required.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes a generous benefits package.
Candidates, please apply online at: Assistant Director of Admissions Job Application
Please also include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for 3 professional references.
On-line applications accepted until the position is filled.
VMI Employees must complete a COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form upon hire, per Governor Northam’s Executive Directive #18. The Human Resources Office will supply the form.
Criminal Background Check required for the final candidate.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal education and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals, and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.