Boiler Operator/Utility Plant Specialist II
Posted Friday, October 8, 2021
Virginia Military Institute invites application for a full-time Boiler Operator/Utility Plant Specialist II in the Physical Plant Department.
- Operate up to three hi-pressure boilers on a given shift; make sure that all boiler equipment and all safety equipment are working. Complete daily logs and checklists as required. Clean and maintain boilers, and all associated equipment in accordance with manufacturer's manuals. Make pipefitting repairs as necessary.
- Service a variety of heating equipment and controls, including associated steam lines and components (tanks, valves, traps, pumps, motors, etc.). Perform periodic inspection of all steam and condensate equipment and mechanical room controls. Help identify problem areas and perform in the preventive maintenance program.
- Provide timely tum in of work orders with proper man-hours and materials for accurate accountability.
- Adhere to Physical Plant safety directives, OSHA standards. Safety Data Sheet (SDS), Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), Lock-out Tag-out program, ISO 9000 series, State / local laws and other governing directives.
- General knowledge and routine use of hand tools and precision measuring devices is required. Must care for and use: Common hand tools, Multi-meters, Torque wrenches, Carbon Monoxide Tester, Confined space meter. Micrometers, Calipers, Temperature measuring devices.
- Adheres to Physical Plant policies governing the conduct, wearing of the uniform, leave, proper operation of vehicles, etc. in order to make the Heat Plant a safe and professional place to work
- Must be willing and able to perform after-hours work, to include weekends, to support the standby call process, special events, emergencies, and weather related issues.
- Possess the ability and demeanor to work internal and external to Physical Plant.
- Maintain high personal standards for conduct and appearance.
Minimum Starting Salary: $32,000 and includes a generous benefits package.
- Good communication skills
- Problem solving skills
- Valid Virginia driver's license with clean driving record required
- Possess Third Class or higher Facility Operating Engineer license or Third Class or higher Power Plant Operating Engineer license or be able to obtain certification within one year of hire.
- Extensive experience in this field
- Trades License and/or certifications
- Computer skills
- High School Graduate or GED.
Candidates, please apply online at: Boiler Operator/Utility Plant Specialist II Job Application
Online applications accepted until position is filled.
All VMI employees are required to complete a COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form upon hire, per Governor Northam’s Executive Directive #18. The Human Resources Office will provide the form.
VMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal education and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals, and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.